Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

I walked through the rooms of Lucifer’s apartment, frowning every time I found something too human for a demon. I sighed, feeling my body still sore from when I woke this morning to Alexandra’s rude screams.  She was really annoyed by the whole situation; I couldn’t help but feel the small pang of guilt.

I yawned before walking over towards the study where tons of shelves were mounted onto the wall with more books than in a library. I bit my bottom lip in thought before choosing a thick book bound with leather. If I was going to be stuck in an apartment I should be doing something constructive.

Carrying the book towards Lucifer’s bedroom where the fireplace was aglow with a warm orange radiance I plonked down under the warm covers. A sudden flash of lightning sparked through the sky lighting it up if only for a second. I shivered, drawing the blankets tighter around my body.

Glancing back at the book in my hand, I unlatched the small binding. With a frown I read through the first page, and realised that it was not in normal human language but in fact in demonic scripts. As I began sifting through the pages I came to a page that read ‘The Prophecy’.

I frowned in confusion. What was the prophecy? As I began reading through the pages I ended up frowning even more, these scripts were written in ancient demonic language. I didn’t understand any of it. With a sigh I glanced back outside as the rain pelted down against the window.

I was bored and Lucifer was in the war, leaving me alone to entertain myself, but I couldn’t leave, he made sure to lock me in and get his grandmother Jillian to phone me every hour to make sure that I was alright. I protested saying that I could take of myself but of course Lucifer didn’t listen to me.

So I found myself now, sitting on the floor, drawing. I frowned in thought as I began sketching a small basket that was filled with flowers. For a moment I felt myself getting lost in the drawing when a sudden loud booming of thunder echoed across making me snap out of my deep trance state.

I glanced at the drawing, and in a moment of complete irony I began to laugh. To think that this whole messed up situation started with me joining art school in order to protect Laura who was now utterly insane with madness, still not explainable and Michael being engaged to a human which was sure to make the lord angry.

I frowned instantly thinking about the lord. Heaven was falling because he was devastated, no doubt because of me leaving Heaven and joining Lucifer, which would be seen as behaviour which deserve undisputable severe punishment. Nathaniel would be pleased to issue out that punishment, I thought bitterly.

Ring. Ring. Ring. I glanced up towards the phone that was ringing, probably Jillian again, phoning to see if I haven’t killed myself yet. I sighed and walked towards the phone mounted onto the wall, before answering it.

“Hello?” I asked.

“Evelyn dear, is that you?”

I smiled, “Yes this is me Jillian”.

Jillian laughed, “Well you sound peachy perfect”.

“Of course I will,” I responded.

“I wouldn’t be so sure of that child,” she replied.

I hesitated, “Why is that?”

“Oh nothing, just me and my old crazy talk,” she answered quickly.

I frowned, “Okay then”.

“So dear, are you alone?” she asked.

I sighed, “Yes alone and bored”.

She laughed again, “Well don’t fret; I’ll be on my way with something to eat”.

I smiled, “Okay well see you soon Jillian”.

“Bye dear”.

“So you say that you don’t feel any different?” Jillian asked taking a sip of her camomile tea.

I shook my head, “No why?”

She shrugged, “Sweetheart there are some things that you can’t explain, but have to wait to find out”.

I raised my eyebrows, “Like what?”

She smiled secretly, “You’ll find out soon enough Evelyn”.

“And if I don’t?” I asked dubiously.

She laughed, “Nice try but I’m not one to fall easily for those tricks”.

I sighed heavily, “Fine”.

After a few minutes of silence I decided that I trusted Jillian enough to ask her about the book that was called The Prophecy. I walked over to the study, fetching the book before walking back to the living room where Jillian sat.

She glanced at the book in my hand, “What is that darling?”

I shrugged, “I was hoping that you can tell me?”

She took the book from my hand, unlatching the binding before scanning the pages, “Oh my”.

I frowned, “What is it?”

She looked up at me, “It seems that my dear Evelyn that you have discovered your destiny”.

I stuck my sword deep into the angel’s heart, watching with a grin as he fell to the ground in a pool of blood. A loud sound of a gunshot fired into another angel’s torso, making her crumple onto the floor with an agonising cry and for a moment I thought back to Evelyn who would be alone and defenceless.

I shook away the thoughts as another angel came my way, causing me to nearly trip over a dead corpse. I glared at the angel, pulling out my gun from my back pocket as I pulled the trigger. I smirked as the angel cried out in pain before flying down to the ground where he knocked out a few other angels.

The crackling of lighting and thunder in the air caused friction in atmosphere, making it harder to concentrate on the fight before me. Angels and demons clashed, their weapons shining brilliantly in the brightness of the lightning. It was an epic scene that I somehow could get lost in easily, knowing that this is where I belonged.

Alexandra came flying down next to me with a gleeful grin, “I just killed three angels in one go!”

I smiled, glad that her angry mood at me before had now vanished, “Great to hear Alex”.

She nodded and instantly pulled out her gun, aiming it at an angel with intent green eyes and firing, but missed by a hairline. She cursed under her breath as the angel drew closer with anger in those emerald green eyes, and for a split second I realised who the angel was. Archangel Raphael.

I pushed Alex out of the way and grabbed my sword before plunging it deep into his abdomen. Raphael groaned in pain but it didn’t stop him from striking at Alex who screamed shrilly before flying off into the distance. He gave me a cruel smile before flying off towards where angels were being healed.

Just as I was about to fly after him I felt someone yank my arm hard. With a frustrated blow to the person I watched as her body went flying through the air, landing onto the ground with a loud thud. I frowned, realising that the person I had just struck was Laura, the avenger who was intent on killing Evelyn, because of the prophecy that gripped everyone’s destiny in it, it would mean the fate of good and bad hung in her grip, it would mean that the outcome of this battle would hang in the prophecy’s grip.