Chapter four

• Věnováno Teneal Naidoo

Chapter Four

“Evelyn, wake up,” I heard a soft voice.

My eyes opened only to see Michael’s face above mine. I closed my eyes again; he was not the person I wanted to see this morning.

“Come now Evelyn, we have important business today,” Michael continued pulling off the duvets from my body.

With a heavy sigh I woke up and slipped my feet into the warm bedroom slippers that lay at the side of my bed. I looked around the room, it barely looked lived in; I suppose it was for the best. The drawers were an exquisite looking cream and pink while the walls were painted a light pink dotted with flowers on the edge of the panelling. There was a large window across from me that let in the brilliant sunlight to fall elegantly over my bed so that every morning as I awoke I was greeted by its rich warmth.

“Evelyn get dressed and meet me in the dining room, we have matters to discuss,” Michael told me walking down to prepare breakfast.

I made my way slowly towards the bathroom and started the water that filled the shower with steam which eventually filled the room. I got in and let the hot water wash away at my soft skin but somehow it only reminded me of last night when I had let the demon…

I opened my eyes and instantly scrubbed at my skin and then started with my hair. I will not allow my feelings for a demon to get the better of me, urgh what am I even saying? I don’t have any feelings for the demon at all, I am fine. With a heavy sigh I stepped out of the shower and stared at my reflection in the mirror.

I gasped. My cheeks were flaming red, and it was not from the shower. Muttering aimlessly to myself I dried my hair which curled beautifully against my shoulders and then I pulled on a white sundress that ended just above my knees making me look as innocent as a five year old.

I smiled to myself and walked down the stairs that combined the loft and the first floor of my apartment. Michael was already setting up plates on the kitchen table, three to be exact. I narrowed my eyes as I took my usual seat across from Michael and watched as he piled on food onto each of the plates.

“Why are there three plates brother?” I asked him curiously.

He smiled sheepishly, “Laura will be here in a few minutes”.

I nodded, “But what about business?”

“We have now to talk and after breakfast Laura needs to visit her parents and that is when we’ll be able to talk more openly,” he answered.

“Okay,” I replied.

There was a knock on the door and I watched as Michael ran over to open the door for Laura. She entered with a smile wearing a low cut shirt accompanied with tight black jeans. I tilted my head questioningly at her and she snuck me a sly smile before winking.

Michael and Laura began to talk easily about last night which only made me feel more and more uncomfortable. What would Michael say if he knew what I had done? Perhaps the lord already knew about what I have been doing and to think that I had warned the demon to get away before Michael had found him. I shuddered.

“Evelyn, are you okay?” Michael asked his voice full of concern.

“Yes I’m fine,” I replied taking away my half empty plate to the kitchen. Somewhere along in my thoughts I had lost my appetite; I needed fresh air, “Michael uh I’m going out do you want anything?”

Michael glanced at me with an inquisitive look, “No nothing”.

I looked over at Laura, “Laura would you like anything?”