Big Day

“Who is it” I answered never looking at the caller idea on my home phone. “Baby, I’m sorry to wake you so early” the voice on the other end replied. As soon as I recognized the voice I sat up “its okay Bae what’s up, is everything okay” I said. “Yea, my car won’t start up and I have several errands to run this morning” he said. Before he could finish with his reason for calling so early I intervened. “Say no more just let me brush my teeth and throw on something and I’ll be there” I said climbing out the bed. “Thanks Boo you’re the best” he said before hanging up. In half an hour I arrived at his house. Antonio was already down stairs. Even when he didn’t have on a suit he looked good. He was wearing basketball shorts and a plan white T. I loved to see him dressed so relax it was sexy because it was the only time he wasn’t dress to get attention. “If you’re still tired you can go up and go to sleep” he said to me as I handed him the car keys. “Not that, that doesn’t sound like a good idea but I have to be getting home.  Just give me the keys to your car” I said holding my hand out. “But it won’t start up Lee” he replied. “I know I called Brian when we got off the phone this morning and asked him if he can look at your car for me since he works at a mechanic shop. He’ll be here shortly and will give me a ride home” I said. “Thanks Lela I’ll wait with you until he gets here” Antonio said. “It’s okay Hun I know you have a busy day” I said. He then kissed me good bye and gave me a slap on the butt and just like that he was gone. About five minutes later Brian arrived with a tow truck. “Thanks for the favor Brian” I said climbing into the passenger side of the truck.  “Anytime Le-le” he said as he got out to hook the car to the truck. Moments later I arrived back at home.

          By the time it hit 1:30 I was dressed and ready to head out I too had plans but with my car gone I had to rely on other transportation. At anytime I was expecting my ride so when the door bell rang I thought it was my ride. “Antonio what are you doing here” I said surprised. “I was done with my errands so I came to bring you back your car and see you” he said walking into the house. “Why are you all dressed up” he then added. “I have plans” I said putting on my stockings. “Plans, with who dressed like that” he said not hiding that he was getting upset. “Calm down Antonio, Marvin and I have a…”. “You and Marvin! What you mean you and Marvin? Where do you need to go with Marvin dressed like that” he said pointing at me. “What do you mean dressed like that? What’s wrong with what I’m wearing” I said now getting upset. “Nothing if you were wearing it for me but you wearing it to go out with Marvin” he said. “Hold up because you are seriously jumping to conclusion” I said trying to calm my voice. “Whatever Lela what did your friend say about my car” he said still with an attitude and walking to go set down on the couch. “My friend Brian” I said reminding him that he has a name. “Said that your car has several problems and instead of fixing it all you could save more money just buying another one. And if you like I can give you Chris number he works as a car dealer and can give you a good deal” I said joining him on the couch. “So that’s how it works” he said jumping to his feet. “You wheel in the costumers for Brian, he tells you that the car is pass fixing and then you refer them to Chris who just so happens to work as a car dealer and can give me a good deal. While your little scam isn’t going to work on me” he said dropping my keys on the table and heading for the door. “Scam, I don’t know what the fuck is wrong with you but you need to check yourself” I said no longer caring about keeping my temper.  He didn’t say anything else he just slammed the door behind his self. I was so mad I didn’t care how he got home he could walk, hitch a ride or call a cab for all I care. But I was not about to let him ruin my plans for the evening.

         When it finally hit three Marvin and I was ready for our meeting. He was helping me expand my charity called With One Step. It was not just to help kids stay off the street in the black community but to provided different styles and cultures of dance to kids who families could not afford the lessons. Marvin was known for his help in the community. He always gave back. When we were in college he started a charity called Helping Hands which helps parents with special need children get the medical care they need. And that’s what he went to school to be a teacher for Special Ed Students. Well it was originally to be a high school teacher but he changed his mind shortly after starting the program. He was hands on with everything he put his name on and he was great with kids. So when he wasn’t teaching or modeling he was giving back to the community. The whole crew at Clark chipped in financially when we could. Carson, Danny, my sister Nicole and I were the only ones who would participate hands on like rebuilding a playground, painting over graffiti or tutoring. On the other hand, With One Step was a small dance studio that opened its doors to any child enlisted in school no matter the age, ethnicity or gender who wanted to learn how to dance.  Rather they knew how to or not. The only requirement was that they had to stay out of trouble, gangs and gang affiliation and keep their grades up in school. With the money I made from the shoot I did with Marvin I put into moving into a bigger studio. However, I thought it would be a good idea to expand it to other states and since Marvin has experience and connections in that field I asked for his help. After we finished pitching my idea to the companies they said that they like it and will be in contact with us. “How about we go to dinner and celebrate” Marvin said as we left the building. “I got a better idea, how about we invite the whole crew, my sister and the baby over for a dinner at my house later on around nine-ish” I said with a big smile on my face. I didn’t want to celebrate with a lot of strangers around my friends and family were all I needed. “Sounds good to me” he replied. I was so happy that I didn’t want to ruin my good mood and call Antonio to patch things up so I just had Marvin take me home to prepare for tonight.

       “Um this is good Lela you really put your foot in it” Ronnie said taking a bit out of everything that passed him. “Thank you but I can’t take all the credit our famous chief slash baker from Our Kitchen did most of the cooking” I said lifting my glasses to Carson. “You were all called here because Lela has an important announcement to make” Marvin said clearing his throat. Everyone stopped talking and looked up at me. “Thank you all for coming but I couldn’t have done this without my” …knock knock. Damn I was right in the middle of my announcement when someone was banging on my door. I wasn’t expecting anyone else so I excused myself from the table. “Antonio what are you doing here” I said walking outside and closing the door behind me. “I apologies for my actions earlier, I never meant any of the thing I said and I was wrong for taking my frustration out on you” he said looking pitiful but sorry. “None of that matters right now. I’m just glad you’re here come in and join everyone I have exciting news to share” I said hugging him. He didn’t say anything else as he hugged and kiss me. He took a seat at the end of the table and I went back to my seat at the head of the table between Carson and Marvin. “Okay now that everyone is here let’s hear what the big news is” Alicia said impatiently. “Like I was saying thank you all for being here you all know about my charity With One Step. As of earlier today the decision to expand to other states around America has been finalized” I said jumping up and down. I regain my composer and continued with what I was saying. “In addition, I could not have done this without my partner Marvin. He supported me and held my hand throughout the whole process. Not only that but he connected me to the right people you are truly a great friend and a blessing in my life” I said now holding Marvin hand and fighting back the tears. “Last but not least, thank you all for being here when you could have easily been somewhere else doing only God knows what” I said looking at everyone but mostly Chris. “You all know how important this charity is to me and I love you all so much” I said with tears sliding down my face. “To Lela” Marvin said as he held his glass up. “No to dancing, to With One Step” I said. “To With One Step” they all repeated as we clashed our glasses. 

       “I can’t take another bite” Danny said as he held his stomach. I smiled as I looked out the kitchen at everyone getting along. Nicole and LaNaysiawere in my room knocked out in my bed. Ronnie was still trying to stuff his face at the table and Danny just laid back in his seat as he just took his last bit. Eric was laid out on the couch half sleep. Brian was searching through my music and movie collection. I didn’t know if he was going to play one or take them home. At this time I didn’t care. Chris was in the bathroom doing some serious damage I was sure. Marvin and Alicia teamed up against Antonio and Carson in a card game. And I was loading up my dish washer and packing food in containers so I can have some for later and the rest was for them to take home. “Baby your friends are something else” Antonio said as he came in the kitchen and hugged me from behind. “I know they are that’s what makes them great” I said as I smiled and continued to clean up. “You shouldn’t be cleaning up you are the host and plus it’s your big day” he said kissing me on my neck. “Don’t go running to Lela she can’t help you from another ass whooping” Alicia playful yelled out. “Come out from behind her skirt and take it like a man” Marvin added. “Now ya’ll take it easy on my baby” I said in Antonio defense. “Don’t leave me hanging partner we got them next hand I can feel it” Carson said. “Go ahead baby, I got this” I said giving him a kiss. “Let me rub it for luck” he said rubbing my butt and then running out the kitchen. At 12:19am everyone was tired and started to head home. “Call me when you make it home so I know you made it safe” I said as I hug everyone goodbye. “Better luck next time” Antonio said to Marvin and Alicia. “Alright partner” Carson said hugging Antonio goodbye. After saying our goodbyes Antonio closed the door behind us. 

..........................1 Rated R Paragraphs is taken out HERE........................