Long Distant

• Dedicated to Natasha Tbabii Warren

            Spring break was finally over and we both had to get on our grind in school. But that didn’t stop us from talking. Every day we would either text or talk on the phone. And when there wasn’t so much studying to be done we would video chat. It drove my roommate Alexis crazy.  She never liked me any way. She had a nice shape but not a pretty face. Not unless she put on a load of makeup. Her second face is what I called it. And to add on she was stuck up. Even though she didn’t have a problem pulling men she could never keep one not because she was ugly but because of her attitude. We were complete opposites in every way and never said much to each other. As I talked on the phone at night she would mumble things under her breath. One day she lost her mind and unplugged my room phone. I hemmed her up in the corner and threatened to kick her ass if she touches anything of mines ever again. Less than a week later she ignored my warning. As I arrived to my room talking to Antonio on my cell phone she cut the cord to my room phone. Antonio tried to get me to calm down and take it to higher authority but I wasn’t hearing it and dropped my phone. I knocked everything of hers on the floor as I made my way to her. And right before I could hit her, the floor RA was holding me back begging me to calm down. Carson and Alicia came running down the hallway as I was standing in the hallway yelling. Alicia was trying to get me to stop yelling. Carson grabbed my phone off the floor and noticed that Antonio was still on the phone calling out my name.  She was telling him what was going on when Alexis pushed Carson and all hell broke loose then. I pushed pass the RA and Alicia and punched my roommate dead in the mouth. I pounced on her like she was my prey. The RA yelled to call the school police but I kept pouncing. Alicia was screaming on her phone. And next thing I know Marvin, Chris, Brian, and Danny was trying to pull me off of her. “Damn you strong” Brian said struggling. “Lela please stop they are calling the cops on you” Marvin said worried.  “Well that will give me 6 more minutes to beat her ass” I yelled as I continued to punch her in the face. She yelled for help but couldn’t no one save her. “She got a point” Danny said laughing and let me go. “Move Danny”, Alicia said, I shouldn’t have called you, call Anthony buff ass and tell him I said come to Lela room ASAP 911”. Since he was on another floor talking to some girl he was there within seconds. Everyone moved out of his way as the RA announced that the police was on the way. He grabbed me by my waist and attempted to pick me up off of her but I had locked my legs around that bitch. So I was dragging her with me into the hall way as Anthony carried me out the room. I wasn’t done kicking her ass all around that room. And where ever I was going I was going to take her with me. They finally got my hands tied down but I was squeezing the shit out of her with my legs. Carson yelled out “Lela please stop I don’t want you to go to jail” she said crying. So I let her go and Anthony carried me out the room. Alicia and Carson ran to me. Come on let’s get out of here so you can cool down. Right when we got off the elevator we ran into my friend Frazier. He was one of the cops coming to arrest me. When he saw the blood on my hands and shirt he thought something had happened to me, like I was the victim. As I explained what happened. He was in complete shocked. He said he wasn’t going to arrest me because he knew I was a good student but that he would have to take our statement. Alexis gave her statement at the hospital and stayed overnight to get her stitches.  I was not allowed to return to my room so I slept in Marvin room. Carson kept my phone and sum the rest of what happened to Antonio on the phone. The next morning my hand was throbbing like it had a heart beat in it. “Good morning Laila Ali” Marvin said as he pulled the cover up on me. “Aye look the people champ is up. I seen the video last night” Eric said not taking his eyes off the game he was playing. “They got that on video, are you serious” I asked not so surprised after saying it out loud. “Yup! You float like a butterfly and sting like a bee. Girl I didn’t know you had all that packed in your body. For real Marvin make sure I never get on little Ali bad side” Eric said with a laugh. Marvin crawled back in bed next to me and said “now tell me what happed because only you and Alexis know”. “What you mean what happened Ali beat her ass. Man I need to become your manager so we can get paid” Eric joke. “Pay that idiot no mind” Marvin said pointing at Eric who was punching at the air like he was boxing. I just shook my head and laugh at Eric. “Ok last week she unplugs my room phone while I was on it strike one. And then last night when I made it to the room she cuts the cord strike two. The RA then pulls me in the hallway and next thing I know she pushes Carson. The bitch just stroke out and I blacked out”. “Damn! Well come Monday you have to talk to the counselor. When you get ready I’ll walk you to your dorm” Marvin said. I just laid there for awhile until the whole crew made it to Marvin and Eric room. Carson and Alicia kicked Marvin out the bed and laid next to me. Carson handed me my phone. I had several text messages and voice mail mostly from Antonio. The others were from everyone who seen the fight and was glad someone put Alexi in her place. I checked my messages from Antonio and he said he was on his way to Georgia to see how I was doing. I jump up scaring everyone in the room and ran for my dorm building in just a bra and a pair of Marvin basketball shorts to get ready.