"No," I whispered through parched lips. 

          The whistle had brought reinforcements- a crowd of Orcs and Uruk-hai leered at us; their weapons drawn for their disposal. 

        There was no choice. It was fight or be killed...

       Gulping in the last, crucial moments of oxygen, I staggered to my feet and drawing my old sword, I tossed it at the hobbits and slid out a hunting knife that was strapped to my boot. Holding the knife away from my face, I charged at the impeding army with all the fight that I could muster from my limbs. 

        Slashing at an Orc behind Boromir, we worked as a team- destroying all that was in our way. It was then that I had felt it- the same tremor that warned me of danger. Turning my head, I saw a Uruk-hai leering as it drew back the bowstring at Boromir. 

         "No!" I shouted and just as I heard the, 'twang,' of the arrow's release, I pushed Boromir to the side and intercepted the arrow with my body. I felt the white hot slice of pain running through my arm in an instant. Clenching my teeth, I rolled into the dirt, taking the worst of the impact off of Boromir. 

         I hissed with pain as the jolt went through my injured arm and laying on the ground, I forced myself to get up, but I couldn't. 

          "Get up, you wretch," I cursed at myself and placing my hands underneath me, I strained my arms against the ground, but it collapsed underneath me like dead weight, as I felt meaty hands hauling me roughly to my feet and wrapping around my waist- keeping me immobile as the pressure forced the air out of my lungs.  

         For the first time, I felt helpless; helpless as I watched Pippin and Merry being dragged off by the Orcs. 

        "Boromir!" I shouted in warning as the Uruk-hai prepared to shoot, "Boro..." My voice faded to a strangled sound as the Orc that bound me clamped my mouth shut, but he couldn't keep the sound of anguish that welled up in my throat as the arrows pierced Boromir's body. 

         ***

        I was numb. 

       Boromir. He was slumped on the ground; his face ashen and his eyes dull with grief. A Uruk-hai stood before him and laughed malevolently at his victim. The laughter pounded through me ears and swirled around my mind. My ears rang with the sound; filling my body with anger. Throwing my head back, I winced in pain as my skull made ear-splitting contact with the Orc's nose; breaking it. 

       The Orc's hold slackened and using that moment, I lifted my leg and used my spare hand to grab my knife before plunging it into the Orc's stomach. It all happened in a split second. 

      Aragorn leapt out of the shadows and lunged at the leader of the Uruk-hai. The fierce clashing of swords echoed eerily through the woods. Aragorn just managed to parry a thrust before the foul beast threw him backwards into a tree and threw its shield at Aragorn's neck; impaling the wood. Aragorn spluttered; his oxygen supply cut off.