Doomed

Chapter Seventeen: Doomed

KARA

I put a smile as I carry the salad bowl to the dining table where my parents sat opposite Oli's leaving me and Oli at the heads of the table. I knew my mum and dad were going to have a problem with our relationship and they had every reason to disapprove. They nearly lost their only daughter once because Oli was a cocky little shit, but if I could forgive him then so could they. Oli made me happy and they needed to see this tonight.

"So you two are really together Kara?"

I sit down and smile at my mum while Oli shoots me a reassuring smile from the other end of the table.

"Yes we are mum, now how about we enjoy this lovely meal Oli cooked."

"Don't be modest Kara, you stirred the pot."

I nearly snort out the wine I'd just drank while my mum shoots daggers at Oli. Carol and Ian chuckle before digging into the starter which was leek & potato soup. At least when we were eating the conversation was kept to a minimum which meant my mum couldn't pick fault.

Oli helps me clean up the bowls knowing I need to get out of the tense atmosphere. Once in the kitchen, we set about serving up the chicken tikka masala main course which Oli hoped would at least win over my dad because it was one of his favourite meals.

"Do you two need any help in here?"

I tense and nearly drop the pan of rice I was draining over the sink as my mum enters the kitchen. Oli gives me a 'don't let her get to you' look before plastering on a fake smile and turns to face her.

"Thanks, Mrs Andrews but I think Kara and I have it under control, she spoons the rice and I pour the masala."

"Let's cut to the chase Oliver, I don't approve of this relationship. You nearly killed my daughter once and I won't be as easily persuaded as Kara's father's stomach."

I now saw where I got my stubbornness and bluntness from, like mother like daughter.

"Mum, Oli isn't the same person he was in high school. Why can't you see that he makes me happy if I can forgive him then why can't you? If you really loved me, then you'd support my choice."

Mum and Oli wore the same expression of shock, I didn't want to have to dance around my parents. I was old enough to make my own decisions and face the fallout and mistakes that came with them. Mum scoffs and folds her arms across her chest before smirking.

"Oliver hasn't changed, I bumped into Dr Iero and he told me some rather distressing news about my daughter, no he didn't share any details but why is my daughter having to attend therapy sessions, Oliver?"

OLI

Well, that threw a spanner in the works, how the hell did her mum know Dr, Iero? Kara was already nervous about her parents finding out and now her mum goes and blurts out that she knows something. I want to wipe the smug smile of Mrs Andrews face because Kara looked visibly shaken and was rubbing her arms without even thinking about the healing scars underneath the lace.

"Stop rubbing your arms Kara...unless...oh no not again...let me see..."

Kara tries to keep her arms away from her mum but it doesn't take long for her mum to get her claws into her.

"Get off Kara, if she wanted to tell you she would."

"Mum please don't do this...please get your nails out of my flesh."

Her mum wasn't listening to us, instead, she pulls up the sleeves of Kara's dress and gasps at the state of the scars on Kara's arms. A couple had started bleeding again because of her mum and Kara looked close to tears and had started to shake. I wrap my arms around her and pull her against me while her mum just stares between the two of us.