Chapter 7: Apologies

The tension on deck was suffocating. All crewmembers were working hard repairing damaged sails, floors, rails, shrouds and more, but the vampires had been forced downstairs as soon as the sun began its threat to their existence and their already overworked bodies from werewolf based shenanigans were thereby limited in productivity. Needless to say, the mortal crew was spread thin while doing their best to make up for the time that had been lost to nightly drama.

Lucius didn't find much choice but to stay in the middle of it though. Where else could he feel safe anymore than up on the sunbathed forecastle, surrounded by other mortal souls?

He rubbed one of his bandaged arms, determined not to scratch it and make the itch worse but hoping the light friction would soothe some of it while he squinted at the sun. As much as he tried to remain positive and non judgemental at the idea of spending another night among supernatural people, he couldn't fool himself for long. He wanted to believe they wouldn't attack him as long as his blood remained in its skin prison, but as much as it bothered him to slip into Damien-like territory of thinking, how could he trust them not to jump him again?

On the tiniest of bright sides, he'd finally accepted the urgency of his condition. He'd been so set on going back to deal with the Damien and Anthony situation but by the looks of it he'd be a goner before he could solve a single thing.

But what's stopping it from happening even if you continue? There are more supernatural creatures out there than you know.

Lucius shook the scourge's voice away. The truth was too glaring for him to be swayed by its attempts, which made it all the more clear that it was trying to manipulate him into going back purely for its own gain.

"Sure you want to do that?"

Lucius, unable to stop himself from flinching as Richard appeared next to him, awkwardly cleared his throat.

"Do, uh... Do what?"

Richard smiled weakly, tired demeanour all too understandable.

"Scratch your arms," he said while sitting down next to Lucius. "You don't want them to start bleeding again."

Lucius had a hard time facing him, uncertain if it was out of fear or feeling bad, so he just let his arms down without a word.

"Surprised you're not running." Richard was apparently not offended by the silence. "I'm being side-eyed by most right now so I expected even worse from you."

"Yet you're sitting down next to me," Lucius said while leaning back against the mast. "So you must have hoped for me to stay."

"I just... Reckoned I should apologise." Richard shrugged, reaching out to awkwardly pat Lucius' shoulder with the latter finding himself wondering then if they'd touched each other at all before. "You were in a ghastly amount of danger because of me."

Lucius, though partly agreeing in his mind, shook his head.

"I'm the one who caused you to do all that. I wish I could tell you how but I'm just as confused as you are, and I was terrified for sure. Chilled to my bones and beyond, but despite my reluctance to even be here at first I have to acknowledge that you all came along on this trip to help me. So... I know you wouldn't have hurt me if you'd had a choice."

Richard's gaze sank to his knees.

"Still hurt you though, didn't I?"

Lucius grimaced. He couldn't disagree with that either, but poor Richard didn't need more guilt thrown on him.

"So, uh... How are you feeling?" He turned his head to look at him properly. "From what the others told me— Well, Eliza at least... I think the differing stories from Tom and Ethan might be, well... Biased, but... I think they all agree that what happened to you wasn't so painless either."