Chapter 3: The worst place to be

He was sure the sea was mocking him, like the smug, endless prison it had come to be. Everywhere Lucius looked, there it was, waves splashing against the ship as if warning him to not try jumping in and swimming away.

How hard would it be to steal a ship's boat though? He glanced longingly towards one of the deck hatches where smaller boats had been tied down, considering the possibility but ultimately giving up on it. How would he escape what had turned out to be a crew consisting mainly of vampires? If he had any chance of avoiding them it would be during the day when the human crew was up but escaping in broad daylight seemed unlikely as well, especially since at least one of his mortal friends would notice sooner rather than later.

His gaze still lingered on the smaller boat as he daydreamed about rowing back home. It was the one thing keeping inner, crawling sensations at bay. As soon as he remembered his hopeless situation his skin began to writhe, almost literally, and he felt the urge to kick at least one person off the ship just because.

"Even if you did manage to get it into the water without being noticed somehow, I'm making an educated guess that you don't know how to navigate at sea."

Lucius' mood sank, frustration building and skin cringing accordingly as his bubble of distraction was popped.

"Just dreaming, Captain," he said to Abram, whose presence in the sunset's red light was yet another obstacle. "All I can do on this archon-forsaken journey."

"And what are those dreams like?" Abram inquired as he leaned against the rail, holding a deep blue umbrella to shield his back. "Rowing all the way back to South Kerilia while those veins of yours just up and disappear?"

"Mainly what it would feel like to whack young Lord Clausson in the face with an oar."

Abram chuckled.

"That is a more realistic dream, I suppose, but not one I can condone."

"Would you condone the other one?" Lucius raised an eyebrow and Abram's smile widened enough to show fangs.

"Afraid not."

"Because Ethan wouldn't want you to?"

"Even if I disregard Ethan I wouldn't want to lose a boat either." Abram folded his arms, exaggerating a look of disapproval. "And additionally I wouldn't wish the wrath of Lord Hargreaves on anyone, and that's what you'd be facing back there."

Lucius pouted, and Abram's shoulders sank as he let out a sigh.

"I understand you're under a lot of stress, and I can relate to your contempt regarding Lord Hargreaves, but Ethan is right that you don't have a choice right now. You need to let us help you."

"With my life being what it is I find trusting people tremendously difficult." Lucius curled his lip. "So you'll have to excuse my hesitation towards being trapped on a ship full of strangers in the middle of nowhere."

"For what it's worth, the crew of strangers seems to like you even despite the scene you caused the other day," Abram pointed out, attempting a smile bright enough to cheer Lucius up. "Remember Haytham? Second mate? He said hi to you, and he hates everyone."

"Hurray." Lucius couldn't remember the person but he wasn't interested in finding new friends on his unfortunate trip anyway. He reckoned his deal with the Scourge could be the source of the unexpected fondness too, so he doubted they'd get along for real.

Still, he was curious.

"What about you?" he wanted to know, lifting an eyebrow at Abram. "What's your impression of me so far?"

"Honestly?" Abram grimaced. "Ominous."

Lucius had to laugh despite taking offence.

"What's that supposed to mean?"