Part 12

MITHILA

The MITHILA DYNASTY was ruled by SEERADHWAJA JANAKAR located in JANAKPUR of BIHAR ( Ancient) and at present in the District of DANUSA in NEPAL . Mithila was the capital city of VIDEHA KINGDOM .

[ The Mithila Kingdom existed on the INDO-GANGETIC PLAIN , i.e., more than half of INDIA'S BIHAR and some parts of NEPAL ]

The king Janaka and the Queen SUNAINA stayed childless for many years and added to this Mithila was also suffering from drought from the past 12 years . In order to get out of these problems he decided meet  his father who was spending his last few days of his life in a cave of Himalayas doing Tapasya . He visited him and he advised him of ploughing a specific area in Mithila  which is  about 3 km west of Sitamarhi town and located on the bank of Lakhaioi river with a golden plough made from all the  wealth of Mithila .

The King Janaka and all the citizens of the Mithila donated all their possessions for making the golden plough . It was made and the King himself ploughed that area . After some time the plough hit something hard under the mud therefore Janaka ordered the farmers to dig it . As they dug the mud they found an wooden box . They took it out and it was opened by Janaka . As soon as he opened it he found an infant baby . All were surprised by seeing a baby inside a box that to found in the underground . Janaka took the baby out and the baby started crying . The sound of the baby crying resulted in raining . The King Janaka and all the citizens of Mithila became very happy as it rained after 12 years of drought .

Sunaina insisted Janaka to adopt the baby but he refused saying that it was someone else baby and hence he ordered his messengers to pass the news to all the Kingdoms so that they could return the baby . But they didn't get any response and hence they adopted the baby and named her SITA .