Part 3

The king Dilipa bowed down in front of the lion but the lion disappeared . Then the divine calf stated that he was tested by creating an illusion . Now the calf was pleased by his services towards her and offered a boon to him . Dilipa joining his hands prayed for a son and the calf blessed him .

Then the happiest king Dilipa returned to the hermitage along with the calf and narrated everything that happened to his preceptor Vasishta and to his beloved wife Sudakshina .

Then Vasishta offered the milk of the cow left over by the calf to Dilipa for drinking . He drank it and as permitted by the preceptor Dilipa and Sudakshina reached Ayodhya . After some days Sudakshina became pregnant and she gave birth to a son at an auspicious time . Dilipa named him RAGHU. He gradually crossed over his childhood and became a prince.

Once Dilipa started an ASHVAMEDHA SACRIFICE and according to the rules a white horse was released and Raghu followed it along with his soldiers to protect it . But the horse disappeared in the midst of the forest . He was confused as in how the horse disappeared suddenly . At the same time the divine cow Nandini appeared and it oozed out its urine and Raghu washed his eyes with its urine. Then he saw that LORD INDRA abducting the horse in the Eastern direction . Raghu requested him to release the horse but Lord Indra refused to do so and stated that Dilipa cannot win over him by performing the Ashvamedha sacrifice as only he was called as Lord of hundred sacrifices and also ordered Raghu to go back.

Raghu asked Lord Indra to be ready for the battle . Then the battle grew between them .Lord Indra could not withstand the valour of Raghu and hence struck his chest with his weapon 'VAJRA' . But Raghu ignoring the pain continued fighting . This made Lord Indra surprise and was also impressed by his bravery and strength . And so he offered a boon instead of the horse . Raghu prayed that his father Dilipa should attain the fruit of this Ashvamedha sacrifice even without the horse . Lord Indra fulfilled his wish and Raghu was congratulated by the king Dilipa after he returned.