Chapter 37.

"Wh-what?" I scrambled off from his lap and stood up. Hunter gave me a pained look as he tried to reach out to me but I flinched back.

"I'm so sorry, Grace. I guess that was my fault too," he muttered.

"Take me home," I managed to say.

He stared at me for a few more moments before nodding. We walked back to his car in silence as my thoughts travelled to revisit old and painful memories. I didn't realise that I was sobbing quietly till Hunter grabbed my hand and turned me to face him.

We were already by his car but he blocked the door by standing in front of it. He gently rubbed his thumbs over my tear soaked eyes and I closed them involuntarily. He placed a kiss on both of them making me let out a long breath.

"Come on, let's get you home then you can hate me all you want," he said as he opened the door for me. I wanted to argue with him but I didn't have any energy left. Deep conversations and dark secrets tend to wear a person out.

He drove in silence, clenching and unclenching his hands on the steering wheel, till his knuckles turned white. I turned away from him and stared outside my window.

Should I blame him for something he had no control over?

I pondered over this thought till we reached my house and he pulled over.

"Grace, can we talk about this?"

"Not right now. I need to think."

"Okay. Can I come over later? We don't have to talk but I just want to be with you."

I thought about it before nodding. I needed the comfort that only Hunter can provide. I've missed him too much already.

"I'll leave my window open," I said before climbing out of his car and slammed it shut after me.

I went in and saw that my parents weren't home yet so I sauntered off to my bedroom and took a long hot shower. I sat in my bed in just a tank top and my favorite SpongeBob pajama shorts after.

I laid down and stared at the dull ceiling. Wow, this has been a very eventful evening, I thought. The only boy I've ever loved had a dead brother who he thinks was his fault that he died and my brother was killed in the same incident. Wow, talk about a twisted love story.

I felt a soft knock on my bedroom window before Hunter's feet came into view. He climbed in effortlessly and joined me in bed. He sat at the foot of the bed and ran a hand through his hair. "So," he drawled out awkwardly.

"So." I repeated.

"How are you feeling?" He asked me and I sat up straighter, letting the duvet fall off of me.

"I don't know, my emotions are jumbled up, to be honest," I admitted. His eyes travelled down to my pants and I covered them in embarrassment. A bright pink tinged my cheeks as I pulled the duvet over my legs.

"Cute shorts," he smirked.

"Thanks," I muttered.

He shuffled closer and reached out to me hesitantly. He seemed to be having an inner battle with it so he dropped his hands at his sides and sat back.

"Are we still broken up?" He asked lowly.

I looked up at him incredulously. "I guess not. I mean, we broke up because of a misunderstanding and-" I paused before I moved and straddled him, wrapping my legs around his waist. He seemed surprise at my gesture but he still wrapped his hands around me. "Look, we've been together long enough to work on our problems. Sure, our problems aren't as mundane compared to others' but I believe that we can work this out. Don't you think?"