Chapter 17.

As soon as the first tear fell, a river started streaming down my face. I ran to my room and buried my face in my pillow and screamed. Why am I always so stupid?

The image of Hunter's face when he saw us burned in my mind and it made my stomach drop.

Maybe I should call him and explain everything. But you're not even together, my subconscious reminded me. I sighed and trudged to my bathroom.

I took a long bath and when I was done, I grabbed a book and sat down on my bed. I tried concentrating on the words, but my mind keeps drifting off to Hunter. I groaned and put away my book.

I decided to call Zoe. She'll know what to do. "You better be dying or stuck in a ditch somewhere," Zoe answered groggily. I guess I woke her up from her beauty sleep.

"Did I wake you?" I asked stupidly.

"No, I was actually sliding on rainbows and playing with unicorns," she said flatly.

"I don't appreciate your sarcasm," I said, trying to stifle a laugh. I already feel a lot better.

"Is there any reason you called me and disturbed my peaceful slumber?"

"I messed up," I said quietly.

"What do you mean?" I heard some shuffling, probably Zoe just sitting up in her bed.

I told her everything that went down after she left. She gasped when I told her that Hunter saw Kyle kissing me.

"I'll give props to Kyle for getting you to go on that date with him." Zoe added thoughtfully.

"What should I do, Zo? They're both great guys and..." I trailed off and rubbed my hands over my face.

"Do you like Kyle?"

"Well, as a friend, yeah."

"Do you like Hunter?"

After a few moments of silent thinking, I answered. "Yes, I think I do." I said quietly. I feel like he's going to hear me if I say it aloud, which is stupid considering that he's not near me.

"Then, you know what to do," Zoe said calmly. I stayed silent for a few more moments, thinking about what she said.

I sighed, "You're right. Thanks Zo. I'll call you tomorrow. Sorry for waking you up."

"Don't worry about it, goodnight."

"Night." I hung up and sank into my covers, hoping that the bed would swallow me whole.

*~*~*

I've been staring at the screen of my phone for the last ten minutes, contemplating on whether I should call Hunter or not. I groaned and threw my phone on the coffee table, but it bounced right off and fell to the floor with a thud. I mentally cursed.

I picked up my phone from the ground and after checking that I haven't cracked the screen or something, I went to the kitchen to make myself breakfast.

I was drinking milk straight from the carton because I'm too lazy to find a glass, when the doorbell rang.

It's probably just Zoe coming to see if I was okay. I opened the door and my mouth dropped open when I saw it wasn't my best friend.

Standing in the doorway, hair disheveled, jaw muscles ticking and an impassive look on his face, was Hunter. I raked my eyes over him, trying to keep the butterflies at bay when he spoke.