Chapter 9.

The movie date went well, but honestly, it really did feel like it was just two friends hanging out, rather than potential lovers. During the movie, Kyle subtly put his arms around my shoulder. The gesture didn't go unnoticed by me, so I sent a warm smile his way.

Kyle's a really good looking guy, don't get me wrong, but the spark just isn't there. What is wrong with me? Most girls would die for an opportunity like this. Well, not really die, but you know. Anyway....

"Did you enjoy the movie?" Kyle asked as we made our way to the theater's parking lot. "Yeah, although it would've been nice if they got together in the end. Poor guy went through all that trouble to get to her, and what does she do? Sent him home." I rambled. Kyle let out a loose chuckle, "Wow someone is riled up."

I pouted and stuck my tongue out at him. We were just about to enter his car when we heard some shuffling noises coming from the poorly lit part of the lot. We turned our heads and squinted our eyes to see clearly. There were a group of guys surrounding something in the middle.

"Probably just some punks fooling around," Kyle tried to reassure me, putting a hand on my back, leading me back to his car. I let him lead me when a familiar voice made me stop dead in my tracks.

"You don't know shit about me and my family." The voice growled. I turned to see the tall frame of Hunter, swaying in the middle of the circled crowd.

"Get us the money or you'll end up just like your pathetic brother." The other guy spat and gave Hunter one last shove before he and his group of goons left. Hunter couldn't keep his balance and fell to the ground. What happened to his brother? I thought curiously, still shocked about the whole fiasco.

Suddenly the image of Hunter stumbling down snapped me out of my shocked state and I ran towards him, ignoring Kyle's protests. Hunter was still on the ground, head between his knees and breathing heavily.

"Hunter?" I said softly. "What's going on?"

He kept his head down and kept quiet. "Hunter, look at me. Tell me what went wrong?"

Then he spoke. His voice low and menacing, "Stop pretending like you actually care and go back to your date with your boyfriend. Wouldn't wanna keep him waiting now, would we?" Then he looked up at me. The light hit his eyes and I let out a small gasp. His eyes, bloodshot and hazy, stared at me with a look that was as blank as a white sheet of paper.

"Are you drunk?" I tried to reach out to him but he moved away. A feeling of hurt crossed my face but I covered it up when I saw Kyle coming over to us.

"Dude, are you okay?" He held out a hand for Hunter to take. Hunter ignored him and tried to get up on his own.

"We should get him home. He's obviously not in his right mind."

"No! I don't need your fucking help." Hunter was really testing our patience.

"You know what, come on Grace. He can manage by himself." Kyle is obviously not happy about how this date has taken a complete turn.

"Uh, Kyle? I'll meet you at the car. I just need to talk to him for a minute,"

Hunter let out a humorless laugh, "You should listen to your prince and leave me alone."

"I'll meet you at the car, Kyle." I pressed. Hunter is not the only stubborn one. Kyle nodded and hesitantly walked back to his car.

"Hunter, look. I know you're drunk and not feeling like yourself, so why don't you just let me take you home." He turned and looked at me. Suddenly, his face became angry and sad at the same time, if that is even possible.