Prologue

Darkness...
That's all I felt, all I saw, all I knew...

I was weak, sore, exhausted, and yet I did nothing, all day and everyday. I had no way of telling the time, but I know I have been here for a while now. There are no windows, so I had no clue as to if it is day or night. Regardless, I slept and awoke on a timeless routine, waking up to eat my daily meal then going back to sleep.

It was always the same, always...

For all I know, I had been here for years. But I know I haven't, that's just ridiculous. Days, weeks, months, it didn' matter to me. Not anymore. All I knew was that everyday, I got closer and closer to falling into the welcoming arms of despair and darkness. I was never taken out of this white padded room, and when I was, it is only for the bathroom. Everyday - the same, boring routine.

But... just as I was about to fall into the clutches of darkness, I thought of him. The way he smiled, laughed, moved, everything about him lightened up my day. I thought of him, and my soul strayed from the sea of despair and stayed on the shore of hope. 'I wonder if he is alright...', I thought constantly, also thinking of my other friends. But that made me remember my lost ones: Colum, Evie, Rachel... It brought tears to my eyes, so I stopped remembering the hurt and go back to the routine:
1. Awake
2. Eat
3. Go to bathroom
4. Sleep
Then I repeated it over and over again, until the painful memories went away.

But I felt as if today was... different. I woke up and I was sitting in my usual corner thinking of random fantasies, when the door to my cage was opened. I turned to see two usual guards walk in, silent as usual. Even without my Runner watch, I could tell it wasn't time for my bathroom run or for my one meal to be brought in. So, I stared at them quizzically, awaiting for any action from the stiff soldiers. But then, a familiar figure stepped into the white, padded room, his white suit blending in with the walls.

"Ratman...", I grumbled out, startled at the hoarseness of my voice. Well, I hadn't spoken in ages so my voice had to sound a bit rough.
"Nice to see you too, Y/N," Janson replied cooly, angering me as he walked over to the lone desk in the middle of the room, "Please, come join me. It's about time this table was used." I hesitated, not wanting to move or join the rat-faced man, who was smiling smugly at me. 'What the heck...', I gave in and staggered up, walked over and sat in the spare, white seat across from Janson.

We looked blankly at each other, not moving or daring to speak. But my curiosity won over.
"What do you want, Janson?", I demanded harshly, glaring daggers at him as I slouched in my chair.
"I'm here to tell you what is going on," he responded, cool and calm as ever. This annoyed me, how could he sit there with a smug smile upon his face and wear a clean, white suit while there were people - children - who were suffering God knows where out in the Scorch? Who were suffering in this stupid facility. 'How dare he? How dare he walk in here and be so calm? How?' I never spoke those words, however, or asked him to continue. I guess he realised that I wasn't going to talk, and so cleared his throat to continue.

"Well...", he started off, "First thing is first. Congratulations, you've completed both the trials and you're still alive!" He clapped his hands and laughed a forced laugh, obviously trying to make me feel joyous. I wasn't sure if he actually meant it or not, but my whole body relaxed, realising that I was done with all the trials and tests and Variables. That no one else would die... But still, I said nothing, and I still did nothing. No expressions or gasps, just silent and neutral.

"Is that it?", I asked finally, sounding bored. I wouldn't be happy if he just came here to tell me I was done. "If so, then why an I still stuck in this shuckin' room?".
"Ah... patience. I'm getting there," Janson replied calmly. After a deafening and long silence, he spoke, "I'm here to tell you what is going on, correct?". I just nodded, not thinking where this was going. I was still emotionless on the outside, but my heart was pounding inside my chest with all the tension in the room.
"Well...", he cleared his throat again, "Let's start with the essentials first, shall we? You have the Flare."

Those four words made my heart stop and my stomach drop to my feet.