Chapter 44

Playing Big Brother

Playing Big Brother

"Didn't you hear? They broke up!"

"I saw that coming a long time ago."

"Yeah, the two of them were never going to work out."

"I wonder who dumped who."

"I bet Hayden was the one who gave her the boot. I mean, have you seen her?"

"No way. Charlie definitely ended things. You think a girl like that would let a guy breakup with her and get away unscathed? As if."

"That's true. Did you see her with Ethan though? They've been smiling nonstop and making googly eyes at each other. It's kind of repulsive. She must have left Hayden for him."

"Wow. What a conniving little—"

"Finish that statement and it'll be the end of your social life," Jillian seethes, throwing a lethal glare at the group of people huddled around a desk in the middle of the room. Once they recognize her, they all scramble to their respective seats, trembling with trepidation. A fierce scowl adorns her face as Jillian stalks over to her desk, daring anyone else to talk out of their asses about her best friend in her presence.

Usually, the honey-blonde girl, whose eyes are a vibrant blue, is a sweetheart. Unlike her best friend, she's feminine, polite and courteous, but nobody can be a complete angel. That's not how life works. The way Jillian treats people depends heavily on Confucius' Golden Rule. You know, the one about doing unto others what you would like to be done to you and yada-yada. Although they aren't actually talking about Jillian, she sees no difference.

Throughout the entire day, news of the supposed couple's parting has traveled around the school, evoking an array of reactions from the students. Some people are happy about their separation, a few devastated, but the majority of the crowd is indifferent on the matter. A number of rumors regarding the possible reasons which could have resulted in their breakup have also been circulating amongst the students. And boy, are they starting to bother the hell out of Jillian.

These immature buffoons are really testing her patience, and she's just about had it with them. She hates how irritating people around her age can get, especially when they don't even know the whole story. Who are they to pass judgment so easily on other people's lives? Charlie doesn't deserve to be badmouthed by the likes of them. She hasn't done anything wrong and even if she has, again, it's none of their goddamn business!

Clearly, they're still having a tough time trying to wrap their pea-sized brains around the fact and Jillian can't help but wonder how people like them could ever benefit the rest of the world. If anything, they'd only wreak havoc on the place. Thinking about it now, she's certain that she's not going to miss high school once graduation comes knocking. Hopefully, in college, things are different. If they're not, then she's lost all hope for humanity.