Chapter 11

Playing the Love Guru

Jillian is driving with her boyfriend riding shotgun while Charlie and Jack are sitting in the back. The radio is belting out The Weeknd's hit song: Can't Feel My Face and the couple is jamming out to the beat in order to get themselves pumped up for a fun night. The passengers, who have been separated for roughly two years, are more interested in catching up than listening to the tone-deaf lovers.

Jackson McKiernan, also known to most as Jack, has been on active duty in South Korea for the past year. He had joined the military immediately after receiving his diploma from high school in 2013. Unlike the other kids he walked the stage with, Jack knew for sure that he wanted to represent his country and enlisted at the age of eighteen. He had to leave home to get his basic training done and his departure at the time had been heart-wrenching for everyone.

Charlie had been the most affected by it since they were best friends.

It wasn't easy trying to keep in touch, especially after Jack was stationed on the other side of the planet, but they managed to squeeze in a few calls here and there. However, over the summer Charlie didn't hear from Jack as frequently, nobody did. So of course she was relieved when he showed up at her doorsteps alive and well. She can't imagine her life without him.

That's how important he is to her.

At least fifty cars are parked on the street Matt lives on. His house is hard to miss. You'd have to be blind not to find it with all of the teenagers loitering on the front lawn. Thankfully Matt had reserved a parking spot for them ahead of time. They exit the vehicle with Ian leading the way.

The partygoers near the entrance have their jaws on the floor when Charlie walks in with Jack's arm resting around her shoulders and a luminescent smile painted on her face. Their gazes shift from the mysterious boy they are not familiar with to Jillian who is casually strolling in front of them. They are quite bewildered, but once they are gone, they go back to doing their own thing.

The music is blaring and the house trembles with the students who are dancing in the living room. Ian leaves the group to search for the host while Jack offers to get them drinks. Charlie and Jillian cram their way through the swarm of sweaty bodies and come to a halt when they reach the other side.

"On second thought, Charlie, I take it back. He's a total pig. PDA much?" Jillian shudders and Charlie rolls her eyes at the sight.

Sprawled out on one of the armchairs with a girl straddling his lap is her next door neighbor, Ethan. The duo is currently engaged in an aggressive game of tonsil hockey and the perverted boys around them hoot and holler, egging the two of them to go even further. His hand slides down to her ass and she moans out loud. Charlie doesn't spare them a second glance before she prods Jillian to keep moving. They find a less crowded hall and wait for Jack there.

Jillian isn't afraid to voice out her disgust about Ethan. Next, she proceeds to apologize to her friend for almost setting her up with him. Charlie simply laughs and dismisses the matter. It's not like she would have listened to Jillian anyways. She scans the area for something to entertain herself with and her eyes narrow once she sees what's going on in the kitchen.