Chapter 15

Playing to Return a Favor

The absurd rumors concerning Charlie and Hayden being an exclusive item are still alive and kicking. They have been circulating throughout the halls of Highland High all day again long, and Charlie is on the brink of snapping somebody's arm in half. She's reaching her breaking point. There's no doubt about that. She hasn't been in the mood to talk to anyone, not even Jillian, her best friend. At the moment, she is sporting a rather fierce glare. She's positive her face will get stuck in this sour expression if she keeps wearing it, but she doesn't care.

The last class of the day comes to a conclusion and Charlie, like always, is the first person to exit the room. It's been almost a week since Matt's lame party and she cannot believe that her nonexistent relationship with Hayden is what everyone in the school is still obsessed with. Clearly, the situation hasn't blown over like she thought it would have.

As she marches out to the parking lot, eyes fixated on the asphalt beneath her feet, Charlie suddenly bumps into a firm and solid chest. The collision causes her to stumble back a few steps and she looks up in order to scowl at the perpetrator. Her eyes nearly roll to the back of her head when she sees Ethan smirking smugly at her.

She doesn't want to waste her breath on him and steps to the right in attempt to maneuver around him. The boy mirrors her actions and blocks her path yet again. It's obvious he's doing it intentionally. Against her will, Charlie concedes. She sighs and then speaks to him with her teeth gritted. "What do you want?" Fifteen seconds is all she's giving him, not a second more.

"I need a ride home," he states nonchalantly. The people in the vicinity observe the pair as though they are exotic animals in a zoo, but neither one of them notices.

"Okay. Is that it?" Charlie replies, her tone flat. "Have fun finding one then." She shoves him to the side and continues trudging towards the rusty old pickup truck. She can hear footsteps chasing after her and she whips around, startling Ethan. "What do you think you're doing?"

The boy chuckles and tucks his hands into the pockets of his light-washed jeans. "Catching a ride with you," he says in a duh manner.

His statement summons a loud and obnoxious snort and Charlie folds her arms against her chest. "I'm sorry. I don't recall offering to bring you home."

"I know, but you owe me." He shrugs.

"For what?"

"Covering for you. If I didn't, you would have gotten into trouble with your dad. You should be grateful I'm only asking for a ride. Would you prefer something more risqué?" he jokes, wriggling his eyebrows. Charlie is so close to punching him, mainly because she is just dying to take her anger out on someone and Ethan seems to be the perfect candidate. Her fists are trembling, itching for some action. However, she manages to remain level-headed as she stiffly nods.