Boarding Schools and Run-ins

Ten's POV

I guess you could say that I'm screwed up. I mean that in the nicest way, too. Living on your own for nine years can take a lot out of you. Sure, people have come along with me, but for the most part I'm on my own. My way of living changed drastically last year, when Officer Sharen Knapp found me at a park after curfew. She found out that I didn't have anyone to live with, and took me in. And now, I start my first year at Saint Bart's School for the Gifted. It's some fancy boarding school at the edge of London. What gifted means, I'm not sure. There's nothing special about me.

"Books? Clothes? Dear Lord, David! The least you could do is fold your clothes before puting them in your suitcase!" Sharen said, exasperated. She's been making sure I packed everything for a while. Maybe two hours?

"I folded them, you just didn't refold them when you checked last time." I looked up from my phone to see her sitting in the middle of all my stuff. My suitcase, bedding, and everything else I needed for school.

Sharen grabbed another shirt. "I just want to be sure that you've packed enough." A smirk played on my face.

"By checking five times?"

I slid off my bed, which no longer had sheets, and sat down next to her. She sighed. "I just don't want you to leave me."

"I'll be near London, only fifteen miles away." I pulled her into a hug. She hasn't always been clingy, but I can understand why. She's basically been the mother I haven't had in a while, and this was the first time I would be away from her for longer than a week.

"You'll call, yeah?"

"Of course."

"Good." She pulled away and looked at her watch. "Goodness, it's almost noon! Check-in starts in an hour!"

We began to pile my stuff into the car, and I said a goodbye to the house I've called home.

The scenery quickly changed from my neighborhood, to the busy streets of London, and finally to a smaller community , which alerted me that we were close. "How much farther?"

Sharen looked at the GPS again. "It should be coming up on the left."

I stared out and the different trees and such, before seeing a large brick wall. I felt my eyes widen and jaw hit the floor. "Holy-"

"Language, David."

"Goodness. I was going to say goodness." Lie. She knew about my cursing habit.

"This place is HUGE!"

And Sharen was right. The campus was more like a college than a high school. To the left were three large buildings were lined up in a T-shape with a courtyard in the middle. The right side was the exact same, with three identical building in the same layout, but they were several floors smaller. Classrooms. A two story building and a small statue of Saint Bartholomew stood proudly in the middle. And among all of this, students and parents were trying to find their way around.

I can't believe I'm actually going to school here. I thought. I couldn't keep my eyes off the place.

Sharen parked as close as she could to the registration area, before we got out of the car and I got my stuff out of the trunk. She leaned against the car and sighed. "Too soon..."

I dropped my suitcase onto a cart. "What?"

"It's really stupid, but," She laughed, "it feels like its too soon to lose you. I'm not even your real mother."

I smiled in her direction, and wrapped my arms around her. "You've done more for me in this past year than anyone's done in my whole life. You have no idea how much I apprecate everything you-"

" We are now checking in everyone whose last names start with S through T!"

Sharen pushed me slightly away from her. "Go before I change my mind about sending you here!"

I grabbed my laptop case, and slung it across my body. Then, shutting the trunk, I gave Sharen a quick peck on her forehead. "Love you."

She opened the driver's side door, and waved as I walked away. "Love you too! Have fun! Make good decisions!"

I laughed and shook my head, dragging the cart behind me. Check-in wasn't that hard to find, considering that there was a huge line by the time I found it. I was about to get in line, when another person took my spot. I looked up, and saw a mop of blonde hair. She looked up at me, after a minute. "Oh, sorry! I honestly did not mean to- oh, nevermind, just get in front of me."

My lips curled up slightly. "Thanks." After an awkward minute, the blonde stuck a hand out. "I'm Rose. Rose Tyler."

"David Tennant." I shook her hand, and her smile grew. 

"What year are you?"

"Eleventh."

"Perfect! So am I! I think I'll just call you Ten, though."

My head dropped, and a small blush began to form at the nickname. "Any reason for Ten?"

"Well, your last name is Tennant, and I have two friends that I call Nine, and Eleven."

"Name?"

I turned my head to face one of the check-in workers. "Oh, Tennant, David."

She looked through a file, and eventually found one with my name on it. "Ah, okay. Here's your class schedule, room key and assignment, locker combination and number, and, finally, the usual menu for meals, however they are subject to change."

I grabbed the pages with my free hand, and thanked the worker. I turned to Rose, and smiled. "I'll see you later, okay?"

She smiled. "Yeah, I'll try to find you at dinner tonight!"

We exchanged a quick goodbye before I turned towards the dorms.