Only One Sheriff

As Gideon made a mad dash towards the fire in front of her, she wondered briefly if this had been a bad idea. As a small explosion erupted out and she was painfully pelted with shrapnel, Gideon cursed better than a sailor and knew this had been a bad idea.

She'd settled the kids in yesterday, not getting as much time to talk to them as she would have liked, but feeling pretty good about her little chat with Swiftfang. Did she believe the girl meant it when she promised to ask for help? Yes. Did she believe the girl would ACTUALLY ask for help next time? Not even a little. But still, the first step had been taken, which gave Gideon a foundation to work with.

Her premature confidence had led to today's little blunder. It was only their second full day here, and Gideon was hoping that maybe they were ready to actually start learning some survival training. Some groups go through their rebellion stage quickly, others drag longer and Gideon had hoped that this group was a fast one. As she scraped the boilin hot beans off her clothing and winced where a piece of the metal from the can had imbedded into her leg and it started to throb.

"I distinctly told you all that if you're going to cook over a fire, you need to always punch holes into the cans you're cooking with." Gideo stated, holding her temper at by and ignoring the blood that seeped down her leg.

There were six pairs of eyes trying to look innocent, convinced that she wouldn't break them and find out who had purposefully thrown the can of beans in to explode. They hadn't learned that she owned them yet, and it was going to be one of those days where she proves to them that there's a reason she was in charge.

"Which one of you disobeyed me and threw it in?" Gideon asked, voice calm. Her past pushed her to let the anger out, show them why they needed to fear her, but her own life lessons here helped her keep it at bay.

They all stared at her, unity giving them strength to resist her. Or so they thought. Gideon locked eyes with the convict, starting at the most likely suspect. "Did you disobey me and throw the can into the fire?" she asked, watching him smirk and shake his head no. Down the line she locked eyes with eavery single one of them and asked the same question, all of them shaking their heads no.

"Do you know who did throw the can into the fire?" she asked, not believing their innocence whatsoever.

"We don't know shit." Trinity called out snidely, the glittering in her eyes telling Gideon louder than words that the witch had used black magic sometime between going to bed last night and coming out here this afternoon.

Gideon looked at the triumphant faces of her intake and then in the next moment, every single one of them was on the ground, groaning in pain and bodies twitching weakly. "Now all six of you need to shut up and listen carefully. I did not tell you to punch holes in the cans to test you and see if you could obey. I told you to do it to keep you safe. This time, no one but me was hurt. A couple of years ago, a similar stunt to this killed one kid and permanently blinded another. Now when I let you all back up, we're putting out this fire and going back to the House. I clearly cannot trust you to do the simplest tasks without constant supervision."

Gideon curled her lip at her intake, hanging onto her anger by sheer force of will. It wasn't in her nature to be calm and forgiving. "Know this as well. Any other stunts, and when everyone else gets to go out of the Camp on sunday, you all will be stuck here. Because I can't trust you to take care of yourselves or each other. Now get up. We're going inside."

Slowly intake five got up, Swiftfang recovering first and automatically helping her intake mates up. Lycanthropes were social creatures to begin with, so it wasn't terribly surprising to see her learning the group dyanmic thing first. The last one to their feet was her princess, Virgil. The empath had tried to push the emotions of the group, giving them their strength and unity even though the group wasn't all that cohesive yet. Which meant that when they all got his with Gideon's 'sit down and shut up', he had felt everyone else's hit as well as his own.