Thirty Six _ Through the motions

Start from the beginning

And how for Christ’s sake did I ever forget about that in the first place?!!

“You still there?”

“I have it.”

“You have what?”

Since when did she become so slow? I can’t multitask and expounding on everything while getting into my own pants at the same time. “Your iPod!”

“Oh!”

“I’m on my way there so sit your nice little ass tight. We’ll meet in … thirty minutes.”

“Great!” Now, that is what elation sounds like. “But I’ll be in the middle of homeroom or whatever by then.”

“Ar, you could just come to where I am when you’re finished, dimwit!”

“Heh-heh. Sorry. Where do we meet, then? Senior Campus? Cafeteria? … … Library?”

The fact that she couldn’t see me didn’t stop me from doing all sort of things to appreciate her inspiring imagination, including shaking my head and letting out a sigh.

“Theatre!”

………………………… 

…………………………

Rina

“Excited?”

“More of nervous.” I stated the truth, glancing around. We were stood at the very back of the stalls, in a quiet (relatively, that is) corner of the place but, even still, the noises that filled the atmosphere didn’t at all help calm those butterflies in my stomach.

“It’s only natural. Just … don’t let it get to you up there, alright?”

I nodded, and watched her rummage through her bag when her phone rang. She then looked at the unlit screen, gave me a grin and jutted her chin towards my backpack.

"What?”

“It’s yours.”

“But it’s your ringtone.” It was barely audible among the other voices but I heard it all right. Then I found out the reason for that chagrin in her grinning face.

“I changed it last night when you fell asleep.”

“What? Why?”

“Take the call first.” Still frowning, I took out the device, which only then I noticed was vibrating.

And an unknown number.

“Hello.”

“Ten o’clock.”

“Huh?”

“Your ten o’clock.”

“I’m sorry, who is it?”

“Your left, silly. Look to your left.”

On impulse, I did what the familiar voice said, and in the sea of people, found Derek.

“Hi.” I moved to the left towards the wall a little in hopes of getting away from the noises and of course from Liz.

“I’ve been looking all over for you.”

“What’s the matter?”

“Heard you’re in need of a boyfriend.”

I looked away for a second to avoid his eyes and, of course, to give that well-deserved glare to that little minx beside me. When all I got from her was a growing look of confusion, I turned back to Derek. It was kinda silly, though. We were on the phone while only a few meters away from each other.