Chapter Twenty-Two: Baby Campbelle

Start from the beginning

He frowned. "Well your mother told me that I had to watch you to make sure you and Preston didn't try doing the nasty again."

"Oh, shut up," I snapped, without any real anger in my voice.

"Fine. I'll just go downstairs. I'm sure your mom would play truth or dare with me!"

I thought about that for a second. "Well, that's true. But at the same time, are you sure you'd want to know what she'd answer?"

"Nah, maybe not. I'll just go watch Supernatural downstairs then," Bailey stood up and stretched his arms out.

 "Watch Supernatural? Without me?" I gasped

"Get up, then, you lump." 

He walked over and offered a hand to me. I took it and he gave a great big pull, nearly causing me to topple right over. I gave him a hearty shove back, causing him to smile.

We were walking down the stairs when a panicked call sounded out.

Without thinking, we bolted downstairs and into the kitchen. My mom was sitting in a chair when we burst in. She looked up at us with a terrified look on her face.

"He's coming. I-I think I'm going into labor."

Bailey and I each grabbed an arm and helped her into her car. Bailey drove while I called my dad, as well as Mike and Julie. My dad had been helping Mike bury a horse that passed away, in one of the empty lots of grass on the property. Julie had been upstairs with Bentleigh, unable to hear my mom scream.

"How's she holding up?" Mike asked as he sat in the seat next to me in the hallway outside my mom's hospital room. Mike set down the car seat holding Bentleigh in front of me. Bailey was already sitting on the other side of me. My dad and Julie, however, had quickly scampered in to assist my mom.

I held my hand up moved my fingers up and down. "So, so. He hasn't arrived yet, but last time I checked on her, the doctor said she was just about ready to start pushing."

"So are you excited to have a little brother?" Mike asked, taking a glance at me. 

With no emotion showing on my face, I answered, "As long as things go well, I wouldn't care if she popped out a Leprechaun."

Both Mike and Bailey laughed. 

But I didn't see the humor that they did. My mother, my nearly FORTY-year-old mother was in labor. Moments from pushing a child-my brother-from her body. The thought was odd, yeah, but what was worse was the feeling in my gut. What if things didn't go as planned? What if my mother went through the misfortune of losing a second son? She would die. I know she would.

"I am going to take a leak. And my hands are still a bit dirty. Your father and I didn't have time to head back to the house and wash them when you called."

As soon as he vanished around the corner, I felt Bailey slip his hand into mine. "Everything will be alright. I promise."

I removed my hand from his, not caring if it was an impolite gesture. "You don't know that. There's no possible way of knowing that."

I stood up and walked back to the lobby of the hotel. I pushed through the doors and looked up at the sky. The air was much colder out here. The sky was dark and dreary looking. Thick, full grey clouds threatened to spill showers of rain. And sure enough, as I stepped out from under the canopy, a few drops of rain hit my forehead. The weather suited my mood.

I stood in the rain for several minutes before I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned. 

"Bailey said I'd find you out here," Mike said. "He decided to stay put and watch Bentleigh. Are you still thinking?"

I nodded. "I'm just a bit worried, is all."

"About your mom?"

I hesitated before slowly shaking my head. "I think I feel more nervous for myself than anything else. I mean, I'm going to go through the same thing in under 3 months...."

"Understandable," he said. "It was really odd at first, moving in with Julie and Bailey's dad. And when Julie got into that accident-it was horrible. I just hope that she'll accept that I think of her more than just a best friend. That she'll accept my offer of marriage. I always have love her...."

I grinned. "You two make a great couple."

"So do you and Bailey," he said without thinking. He then looked a little mad for a second. "I didn't want to admit it. I really didn't. But he looks at you in a way I've never even looked at Julie with. I really do think he lov-"

"Stop!" I moaned. "He doesn't love me. No one does. I'm done with guys. Indefinitely."

That made Mike smile widely. "That makes me a feel a lot better."

"Uh, guys, you better get in here," Bailey peeked his head outside to tell us. Mike slipped past him, while Bailey gave him a look. 

"What were you guys talking about?"

I shrugged. "You." But I slipped past him as well, before he had time to ask any more questions.

I must have been mesmerized by the air outside a while longer than I had thought because when I traipsed into the hospital room, my mother was laying in her bed, looking exhausted. Her arms contained a long blue bundle. I walked a bit slower toward the bed, until I was standing over my mother and brother. My father was sitting on the other side of the bed, looking joyous as could be. Julie and Mike had an arm wrapped around each other, standing at the end of the hospital bed. I assumed Bailey and Bentleigh were behind me, but didn't bother looking back. Because I was too focused on that little baby's face.

"Jessica, meet Anthony Thomas Campbelle. Your baby brother."

My breath caught in my throat as he was handed to me. He was absolutely gorgeous. His skin was a darker olive color. I ran a thumb across his soft cheek as I rocked him back and forth. He also contained a head full of thick, copper colored hair. He opened his light amber eyes wide, blinking a few times, before closing them again. After a moment, it was assumed he went to sleep.

And to think....In next to no time, I'd have two little bundles of joy of my own in my arms. 

"He is-absolutely gorgeous, mom," I looked up at her, grinning like mad. 

She smiled back. "He's going to be a looker for sure."

_____________________________

Last chapter for a while. Stayed up late putting finishing touches on this one. It's kinda short too...So, so sorry that it took so long to update. My apologies. <3