Chapter 7

Alexander P.O.V.

I thought waking up would have been the best thing that ever happened. I thought that after last night any doubts between us were settled and gone. For a minute, I was fooled into thinking he would stay.  The empty bed beside me left no indication anyone had even been here with me. But last night was no dream, I was sure. I had checked all the drawers and bureaus, the passport and travel documents were gone. My breathing increased and the hyperventilating started. My scalp screamed in pain from my hands and my eyes stung. I gave him the choice. It's what he wanted.

I sucked up my emotions. There was much to do and Damien Salvatore is now officially in the past. I got dressed quickly, falling into my usual routine. My chest felt tight. I could not get enough air. But I will persevere. I have an empire to run. My office was empty and the silence was needed. However, before I could take my seat, gun. Shots rang out through the building. Shouting, cursing, and the groaning of men caught off guard created a symphony of death. I opened the door, too tired to deal with the Salvatore invasion. I stand in the middle of the hallway with my hands in the air. The first face I see is that of the infamous Salvatore son, Rhius Salvatore.

It took no time for his men to surround me, aiming precisely at my vital organs.

"Where is he, Carter?"

Rhius Salvatore was a man bigger than life. The intimidation of standing face to face with the god if the underworld was overwhelming. However, I had other things to worry about.

"Honestly, I do not know. He escaped this morning."

He smiled, brilliant white teeth on such a handsome face made it so much more confusing. He gripped my shoulder and put me on my knees in a second.

"Now, I'm going to ask again and I do not want you to lie to me. This is my family. It is my job to protect my family. So, I'm going to be nice one last time. Where is my brother, Carter?"

"Gone, Rhius," a voice spoke behind me.  I turned to find an aged version of Rhius behind me in kitchen wear.

"Gracie, Papá, since it seems you do not have him, Carter; where is he?"

"I told you I do not know. However, it seems he may have been on his way to you. So, now you all can leave." The growl could not have been helped as it slipped from me. I was in a sour mood and this entire situation was messed up.

"I am sorry. I cannot do that. You see, you kidnapped my brother. Sabotaged my trade and disrupted my family's life. Surely, you did not expect to cross a Salvatore and get away? However, the question I have is, how are you still alive? I checked everywhere to find you, and I must admit, you were hard to find. The only way that was possible was if you had someone close to me working for you. So, who was it Carter? Who gave you such connections that you could hide from me?"

"I know what you want to hear and I know how you are going to respond. But let me say this, this situation, this story is not mine to tell. I cannot take this moment away from its rightful owner. Your brother Damien knows everything. If you bring him-"

"No! I will not have scum like you near my family ever again. Tell me what you know Carter or else." The dangerous calm in his voice spoke limitless volumes. And for the first time, it occurred to me just how deep I was. Rhius Salvatore would without the shadow of a doubt kill me without even blinking. To him, I was just an enemy. Maybe I was. Maybe what I thought I had with Damien did not exist and I was hopelessly holding on to something that I could never truly have. As it turns out, Rhius was not very patient. He turned to leave and left an order:

"Bring him to the coast."

The God had spoken.

Damien P.O.V.