Chapter 28 - "You are famous, son."

A few days later and I was back to ignoring Liam's phone calls. I mean, how the hell was I supposed to break something like that to him? I'd only just fixed things with Liam. I just wanted to go home, but I couldn't. If I stopped touring, I would be breaking my contract, and if I broke my contract, I would have no career. And I wasn't about to give up my dream after everything that's happened. I just had to try and keep the whole thing a secret from Liam. Yep, more secrets and lies. Brilliant, eh? Maybe it wasn't a good idea to keep it a secret.

'God damn it, why is pretty much every situation in my life so complex... I'm a schoolboy from Mullingar, shit like this shouldn't happen to me.' I sighed as I ranted to myself inside my mind.

RING RING

I winced as the ringtone echoed through my new hotel room. Guilt flushed through me as I realised I was praying for it to not be Liam. I shook my head and answered the phone, not even looking at the caller ID. I was leaving it down to chance. 

"Hello?" a very familiar voice called down the phone.

"Hey." I sighed. It was Zayn.

"How is everything?" he asked, sounding happy... A little too happy, it sounded like he was putting it on. I heard a shuffle in the background, and I could hear my own voice echoing. I was on speakerphone.

"Everything is great, thanks. What's up?" I asked seriously. I was hoping he would tell from the tone of my voice that I was onto him. "Why am I on speakerphone?"

"Because I wanted to hear what you had to say, considering you've been ignoring me again." I heard Liam butt in, and it sounded like he'd grabbed the phone. "Zayn, bugger off." he whispered, and it sounded like Zayn had left the room.

"What? I haven't been ignoring you..." I lied. "I've just been really busy, and I'm always too tired to ring you back, babe." I lied again.

"Right... Sure." he agreed sarcastically. "Now tell me the truth."

As he said those words, "tell me the truth," another pang of guilt flowed through me. Did I really think I would be able to keep this from him?

"Liam..." I sighed. "I haven't been ignoring you, I just... I've been scared of how you're gonna react when I tell you something."

"Tell me what?" he replied eagerly.

"It's a long story but... My management want me to keep you, and my sexuality a secret. And they don't want you coming to any of my shows, or appearing at any interviews, signings... Anywhere I am. And they don't want you to meet me at the airport in a couple weeks." I gulped. The only thing that kept Liam going was the thought of us running through the airport and leaping into each other's arms when we saw each other. 

"So... So I have to wait even longer to see you?" he squeaked, obviously hurt.

"I guess so." I frowned sadly, even though I knew he couldn't see it, which was horrible. 

"If you can't be seen around me, when am I even going to be able to see you? And where?" he rambled, his voice shaking.

"I don't know, Li... I haven't figured this all out yet, but I'm trying, I really am trying." I shook my head, pushing a hand through my hair.

"I've gotta go. Good luck with your show tonight. I love you.." he sounded so downhearted, it broke my heart. Before I could reply, the phone call had ended and Liam was gone. 

I felt confident after Liam had wished me luck. Stupid, I know, 'good luck' is just a phrase. But it came form Liam, and that felt good. It was like he was on stage with me, and nothing could be better than having him with me at that time.