Chapter 17 - "You're not seeing him anymore"

"Liam?" I asked a few minutes after I woke up with my head resting on his chest.

"Yeah?" he replied, his sexy sleepy voice lingering.

"Why was Zayn at your house yesterday?" I sighed. I couldn't take this anymore. I couldn't not know any longer.

"It's... It's complicated, Niall. Don't worry about it."

"No, Li, I have to know." I asked again but he didn't reply. "Please?"

"You're not going to like it." he shook his head and I sat up on the bed.

"Just tell me." I began to become slightly worried. What did Zayn have over him?

"We're.. We're kind of related." he squeezed his eyes, waiting for my reaction.

"You're what?" I whispered, my heart beginning to beat faster.

"Not by blood. By marriage. My dad married his mum. We're step brothers." he tried to explain. I shook my head in disbelief. "Let me explain everything." He continued. "Our parents got married when we were 4 and he was my best friend for a while. But he was so demanding and controlling. Back then I thought he was just looking out for me. When I was 13 I came out to Zayn and he told me I was disgusting, a freak of nature. He told me the phase would pass and I would become 'normal' again soon." he shrugged, pushing himself up from his laying down postition. He leaned his back up against the wall and pushed a hand through his hair as he spoke. "He told me he would help me through the phase and turn me into a man... Like him. Some man he turned out to be." he rolled his eyes. "He knew I liked you, so he forced me to... you know. I couldn't bear it, y'know. I hated every moment of it. The only reason I did it was because he told me everyone would hate me if he told them."

There was silence for a few seconds before I looked up.

"You let me fall helplessly in love with you... And you didn't think to let me know you were related to the guy who makes my life hell?" I asked, my voice breaking.

"I'm sorry. I didn't think it was that important to you--"

"Are you serious?!" I raised my voice a little. "Liam this is not exactly small news. How could you have not told me?!"

"I'm sorry, okay? I'm sorry." he tried to calm me down some more, but it wasn't working.

"I think you should go.. I need to think." I looked away.

"Fine..." he huffed as he stood up quickly. "I'll see you when you're done PMSing."

I heard the door shut as he left my house and I swallowed hard. Liam and Zayn were step brothers. This whole time. And he never told me. Suddenly everything fell into place. Why Liam had always stuck to Zayn like glue, why he would be a totally different person when Zayn was gone.

I just didn't understand why he didn't tell me. I would have understood. Now it's just this big secret.

I grabbed my pen and paper and started writing, writing songs always relaxed me. Gave me time to think.

"Back in my head we were kissing, I thought things were going alright. With a sign on my back saying 'kick me' , reality ruined my life." I wrote down the end of a line as I heard my mum come up the stairs. I threw the book under the bed and sat up, dragging he guitar up close to me and pretended to just be practicing.

"You alright, Niall?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." I smiled at my mum.

"Liam seemed a bit stressed, is everything okay?" She looked concerned.

"Yeah,' I started. "Yeah everything's fine."

"Come here," She walked over and took my guitar from my arms, leaning it up against the wall next to the bed. She sat down next to me and pulled me into her side, allowing me to lean on her as she wrapped her arms around me. "what happened?"

"He just kept a secret from me, that's all." I shrugged. "It's nothing."

"What was the secret?" She sounded more concerned.

"You wouldn't understand, mum.."

"Tell me, Niall." She cut me off.

"Fine... Liam and Zayn are step brothers." I sighed.

"What?!" She sat up, releasing me. "Niall, if that's true, I will not allow you to see him. All the pain that Zayn has caused you, and Liam is from the same family? The same house? No. No way, you're not seeing him anymore."

"Mum, you don't understand!" I pleaded as she stood up.

"Someone like that doesn't deserve my boy." She shook her head, opening my door to exit. She closed it behind her.

"Mum, he's nothing like Zayn.. Mum, listen to me!" I shouted but with no reply.

Great.