Chapter Fourteen

The flight back was pretty quiet. I was online researching chronic stress disorder and Brock was on his phone, texting someone. He had been glued to that phone ever since we boarded and I was beginning to get curious. "Who are you talking to?" I asked.

          He glanced at me and sighed. "Dana has been texting me since yesterday. He wanted to know what the doc said." I could sense agitation in his voice and raised an eyebrow as he looked back at me. "The championship fight is still on. After I told him the diagnosis and the news, he quickly reminded me of the contract. I got in touch with our lawyer and he informed me that there is no way I can get out of it..."

          I nodded. "I already knew that. Dana's a good guy but business comes first, always has. Besides, even if you could get out of it, you wouldn't want to. I watched you last week, remember? You loved every second of it, whether you'll admit it or not. I know you would quit because of me, but I don't want you to. Do what you love as long as you can, if I still could, I would." I paused. "Besides, you ain't getting any younger, Brock. Enjoy it while it lasts."

          He chuckled, knowing the last part was a joke. "Hey, I'm not old. I'm just forty, didn't you hear that forty is the new thirty?"

          "Yeah, I'm sure it is!" We laughed it off and a few seconds later, all went quiet again. He was tapping on his keyboard and I knew he was still talking to Dana. I shifted my weight and crossed my legs as I rested against Brock's shoulder. I watched as they text back and forth, reading each message. Some would call this an invasion of their privacy but since Brock and I were married, if Dana wanted to talk to him, he wanted to talk to me too. Or at least, that's how I saw it, and it's not like Brock cared anyway...

I'm setting up a press conference in Minneapolis for Thursday. There, we will explain further the absence and announce the championship fight. Casey will need to be in attendance as well.

           Brock rolled his eyes and typed back. You know I don't like other people knowing my business. Casey became ill, that's all they need to know. Nothing more. If she's feeling well enough, she'll be there.

           "Oh, stop making him mad. I'll be there, I always am..." I paused, taking his phone away from him. "Now, onto better things, how do you want to tell the kids?"

           He chuckled. "Why are you thinking so hard about this? Just get them together and tell them. Although, Turk and Duke won't be visiting until Friday evening but we can tell them over the phone. I'm sure Mya will anyway."

           "Do you really think they'll be excited?"

           He shrugged. "I don't know about Natalie and Ajay, they're still a little young to understand but I know Mya will be. When has she not? And Alanna will be too, you know she loves having siblings."

           Brock seemed sure of himself so I dropped it and gave him his phone back. I kept my thoughts to myself as I pictured their reactions. The only one I was really worried about was Ajay, he had been the baby for years and I wasn't sure how he would react when his sibling arrived...

           After landing, we found the truck in the parking garage, picked up my shots from the pharmacy, and headed home. Brock's phone went off on the way, so he handed it to me to read the message aloud. "I know you fired Scott, so we'll need to talk about trainers when we meet as well."

           "I don't know why he's so set on trainers. I am perfectly capable of handling myself. Why can't he see that?" I knew he was aggravated so I didn't push it. That was between him and Dana and I knew they would settle it eventually... Maybe.