Chapter Thirteen

Brock and I spent the rest of the day in the hotel. We both agreed that we didn't want to tell the kids on the phone and would wait until we returned to tell them the news. We did speak to them later that night and told them everything was going fine. Once we told the younger kids goodnight, Mya came to the phone and asked if we had heard anything. I told her they only ran tests and we would get the results at the appointment, which wasn't completely a lie.

          The next morning we got up early and got ready for the appointment. I think we were both curious as to what the doctor would say. I just wanted to know if the symptoms I was having was due to the baby or something else and if they were treatable.

          Once we were ready, we made our way to the office and checked in. Just like yesterday, we never even got to sit down. They called us back immediately and ushered us into an examination room. The nurse took all my vitals before assuring us that the Doctor would be in momentarily.

          I sat on the table, swinging my feet back and forth as Brock sat in the chair next to me. I was nervous and I think he was too but I wasn't nearly as bad as I thought I would be. "Casey?" The door opened as a middle age, dark haired woman appeared. "I'm Doctor Young, it's nice to finally meet you. Doctor Myers has told me a lot about you." She closed the door and shook both our hands before sitting at the desk in the corner.

          "Just curious, how do you know Doctor Myers?" Brock asked.

          She smiled. "We had most of our Pre-Med classes together in college. We were planning on opening an office together but he decided sport medicine was his calling." She paused and looked down at my file. "I see we found some exciting news yesterday, congratulations. How many children do you have?"

          "I have three biologically, Alanna, Natalie, and Ajay, as well as three step-children, Mya, Turk, and Duke."

          She seemed surprised. "Wow, kudos to you, dear. I have two of my own and they're a handful as it is... So, on to why we're here. Doctor Myers sent me a complete overview of his diagnosis yesterday. I've read over his notes and looked at the test results we were able to complete. The blood work was very helpful as we looked at several enzymes that have to do with the brain. Even though we were not able to get x-rays and CT scans completed, I am very confident that you do not have a brain tumor, which I'm sure you were concerned about." We both sighed in relief. "Anyhow, the enzymes we tested were extremely high, which means it is very possible you have chronic stress disorder. But before we get to that, I would like to hear your story on the symptoms. For instance, how they started, what it felt like, where you were, etc."

          I nodded. "The first one I had was at home. I was washing dishes and I started getting a headache. Once I finished, I went to change for bed and it became worse, so bad that I lost my vision for a minute or two."

          "What was your stressor?" She asked, jotting down notes as I spoke.

          "I had found out that Brock would be fighting in the next UFC pay-per-view, which was less than two weeks away."

          She nods. "Okay and the next ones?"

          "I had an episode when we arrived to Vegas for the fight. It lasted five or ten minutes. I had heard of the guy that would be up against Brock and I was afraid. That's when we met Doctor Myers. I had another episode at the fight while I watched. That one was pretty bad but out of all of them, the one I had yesterday was the worst. I had just been told I was pregnant and was afraid to tell Brock because we had decided that after Ajay, we were done. When I told him, he didn't react at first and I became slightly emotional, thinking he was mad at me. That's when I started having the stabbing pain and the loss of vision. It lasted about thirty minutes and was so painful, I couldn't talk."

          She seemed a little concerned as she wrote faster. "Okay, from what you just told me, I'm certain you have the disorder. I've seen it multiple times throughout my career, even though it can be rare. My concern is not only for you but also for the baby. I know Doctor Myers mentioned that when you have these episodes, your blood pressure becomes dangerously high and although dangerous enough for you, it can be fatal for the baby. Judging by the tests, I would say you're about three to four weeks along but you'll need to confirm that with your gynecologist."

          Brock responded. "Is there a cure?"

          "Casey was in a stressful situation that caused her body to go into a fight or flight response. You changing careers and entering a dangerous sport made her worry and caused her to go into panic mode. Usually, this would cause anxiety attacks but for Casey, her brain went into a more severe version. Most times this clears itself up but sometimes, it doesn't and causes something we have to treat like seizures. What I would like to do is for Casey to take it easy for the next few weeks and send her home with some BP shots. When she has one of these episodes, she needs to give herself one to keep her blood pressure down and keep the baby from going into fetal distress."

          I was relieved that I didn't have a brain tumor and that she was certain she knew the cause of my episodes. But the reality of the situation was still serious and the thoughts of my baby at risk scared the daylights out of me...

          We both thanked her as we left the office. The shots were sent to our local pharmacy which made Brock waste no time in getting us back home. Within the hour, we had packed our things and were on the plane. I was happy to be heading home but was nervous about telling the kids. I wasn't sure if they'd be excited about having another sibling but I also wasn't sure if I should tell them about me. They were going to wonder about the shots and I wasn't sure if I could hide it from them.