Chapter Eleven

Regardless of how hard I tried to keep myself occupied, time passed and Monday morning came. Brock and I told the kids that we had to go to some meetings for work and they didn't question us. I got each of them ready for school and put them on the bus before Brock and I headed to the airport. I had greatly dreaded this trip and wanted nothing more than for it to be over with but I knew I had to go through with it. What if I wasn't okay?

           "Stop thinking the worst, Case. Everything will be fine. We'll go, figure out what's wrong, and fix it." Brock added as our flight took off. I was stupid to think he wouldn't notice my jitteriness but instead of answering, I just gave him a smile and stared out the window. He sighed and put his arm around me. "Alright, what aren't you telling me?"

           I shook my head. "Nothing."

           He sighed, making me look at him. "What is it? Are you having a headache now? Is your vision blurry?"

          "No, no, it's nothing like that." I hesitated. "I just have a bad feeling is all..." He seemed curious. "Like something is wrong."

           He nods. "Obviously something is wrong or you wouldn't be having these. We just need to figure out what so we can fix it."

           "I know that, Brock. I mean, I feel like something is wrong that can't be fixed. Like it's already done the damage or something..."

           He seemed to understand. "Did it start when you first told me or did you hide it from me, like you usually do?"

           I grimaced. "I do not hide things from you. It started the night you met me in the barn, I swear."

           "Babe, you don't want me to think you have a cold, much less anything else. Not to mention, when you found out you were pregnant with Natalie, you didn't tell me for three weeks."

           He had a point. "Well, that was different. I wanted to make sure and I wanted to surprise you."

           "If it started when you said, it hasn't had time to become irreversible and the more you worry about it, the more harm you're doing to yourself. We have the best neurologist in the U.S. She'll figure this out and fix it."

           I didn't want to argue with him. I just had a bad feeling, it's not something you can control. Even though I hoped I was wrong, I knew my bad feelings had been right before...

           The rest of the plane ride was fairly quiet. Brock knew he wasn't going to change my mind and he did his best to comfort me. I silently thanked him in my mind as we landed in Los Angeles and headed to the medical facility. We didn't have time to go to the hotel first since they wanted to run all the tests as soon as they could. If they waited, they weren't sure they would have the results by my appointment tomorrow morning.

           My nerves were running very thin as we checked in. We didn't even have the chance to sit down before they called my name. I knew Brock wasn't allowed to come back with me due to all the radiation and so did he. "I'll be right here." He kissed me on the forehead as I went back with the nurse.

           "Alright, Mrs. Lesnar, I'm Amanda, I'll be your nurse today. You are marked for several tests this afternoon, but before we begin, we must take a urine sample, to confirm you aren't pregnant. From there, we'll get some blood drawn, have some x-rays taken, a CT scan, an MRI, and an EEG. I know that sounds like a lot, but it'll go by quicker than you think." Amanda assured me that she would be with me the whole time and that helped ease a little of my anxiousness.

          We had to wait for the urine test to come back before we could do anything. So, I sat outside the culturing room with Amanda and waited. She made small talk with me while we waited and then they called us back for blood work. They took about eight tubes which made me wonder what they were looking for.

          Once that was collected, I expected to be taken down for x-rays but instead, Amanda told me to wait in the hallway. I assumed she needed to get my chart or something, so I thought nothing of it. I waited for a few minutes and looked at some paintings that lined the hall until she returned. "Well, it appears we aren't going to be having the rest of the tests today." She smiled. "I'll make sure and let the doctor know before your appointment tomorrow."

          I was confused. "Why not? Are the machines down?"

          Her smile faded. "You don't know?"

          I shook my head. "Know what? What's wrong?"

          "Mrs. Lesnar, your urine test came back positive. We went ahead with the blood work that was ordered and ran a second test to be sure. You're pregnant, congratulations." As she finished those last three words, I felt all the color leave my face.