Chapter Twelve

Amanda continued to talk to me but I was in my own little world. Brock and I had decided after Ajay was born that we were done, which was when I went on the pill. I had heard that it wasn't a 100% effective but it was like 99.9%. I wasn't getting any younger either and assumed after having three kids naturally, my body was done too. "So, due to the risks involved, we don't perform any tests involving radiation on pregnant patients. When you see the Doctor in the morning, they will decide what to do next. Okay?"

          I only caught the last thing she had said but nodded anyway. She escorted me back to the waiting room and I thanked her for her help. I stood at the door and tried to get myself together before going to find Brock. I saw him sitting in the corner on his phone. He was leaning against the wall and appeared to be texting someone. I took a deep breath and started toward him.

          He looked up once he noticed me. "That was quick." He looked back to his phone. "Thirty minutes? Did they do everything they needed?"

          I nodded. "Yeah, we're free to go."

          We left and called a cab to pick us up. The hotel wasn't but a couple blocks away so it didn't take long to get there. We quickly checked in and went up to our suite to settle in. I hadn't spoken a word since we left as my mind wandered, trying to figure out how to tell Brock. He was very dead set on Ajay being our last child and I was so afraid he would be angry with me.

          While Brock brought our things inside, I went to the bedroom and out to the balcony. It was about mid-afternoon and the streets of downtown Los Angeles were bustling. I leaned against the railing taking in the sights as I heard Brock open the sliding door. "I'm gonna take a shower, want to join me?"

           I shook my head. "No, you go ahead. I'll be here."

           I could feel him watching me which made me slightly uncomfortable. Finally, he sighed and made me face him. "Okay, what's wrong? You didn't have all those tests run, did you?"

           "How'd you know?" I asked, surprised.

           He raised a brow. "In our five years together, you have never turned me down. Something's wrong and I want to know what. So, spill it."

           I could tell he was serious and I knew I couldn't hide it. "I'm afraid to tell you..." I muttered under my breath.

           His expression completely changed as I said those words. It was a look I had never seen before. "What? Did they tell you the results already? Is it bad?"

           I shook my head. "No, but I'm afraid you'll be mad at me."

           He seemed worried. "Case, I don't know what this is about, but you're acting like I'm some kind of beast, no pun intended. I would never do anything to hurt you and you know that." He paused. "You just went to have some tests run, you were gone for 30 minutes. What could you have possibly done to think I would be so angry with you?"

           "I think you'd better sit down..." I added and nodded toward the patio chair beside the door. He did as I said and waited. "I was only gone 30 minutes because I only had two tests..."

           "Okay? Did they change their mind?"

           "Kind of... They took a urine sample and did some blood work. We couldn't do any of the other tests until they made sure I wasn't pregnant due to all the radiation."

           He nods. "Okay, we knew that?"

          I thought maybe it would click but he didn't seem to get it. "Brock, they couldn't do the other tests because it came back positive... I'm pregnant." I didn't think I would be able to say it but I did. My anxiety was increasing and I felt like my heart was going to jump out of my chest. I watched for his reaction but he didn't react.

          At all.

          His face was a complete blank. "I knew you'd be mad." I added and walked back inside. I went into the bathroom and locked the door. I shouldn't have told him, I knew I shouldn't have. Not here, not now.

          I wanted to cry and almost did until I felt that sharp pain in my head. "Oh, not now, please." I muttered, sliding down the wall and onto to the floor. I closed my eyes and held my head in my hands, hoping it would stop.

           "Case? Where'd you go?" Brock's voice just made it hurt worse as I felt like someone was stabbing me in the back of the head over and over. I couldn't answer him, nor did I want to. "Case? Open the door." I heard him knock as my eyes fluttered open trying to focus but I couldn't...

          I couldn't because my vision was gone.

          My worst fear was coming true. I was blind, in pain, and had angered the only man I had ever cared about. I couldn't help but remember that bad feeling I had earlier. This was what it was about. "Casey, if you don't open the door, I will kick it in."

          Hearing the worry in his voice, I knew he would. My hand reached out and somehow made it to the lock. As soon as it clicked, I heard it open and felt Brock come in. My eyes were closed as I sat criss-cross applesauce on the cold tile. I was breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth, trying to calm my nerves and ease the pain. "I'm not angry, Casey. You didn't give me time to-" He started to say something but I held my hand up, signaling him to stop.

          "Please don't say anything. Just sit with me." As I said those words, he knew and I felt it. He sat in the floor with me, resting his hand on my knee as we sat in silence. I didn't know how long it had been until he spoke. "It's not passing, is it? And you can't see either? It's been twenty minutes, babe. Maybe we should call the doc."

          This one was definitely the longest episode I'd had since they started but I didn't want to call anyone. I just wanted it to stop so I could think clearly. "Help me up." I felt him stand as he grabbed my hands and pulled me to my feet. "Lead me to the bed." He didn't say anything as he followed my instructions. Once I felt the comforter, I kicked off my shoes and laid on my side, resting my head on the pillow. I felt the bed dip as Brock joined me, running his fingers through my hair. It helped a little and dulled the pain. "What were you trying to say? Distract me."

          "I could distract you other ways, you know." I cracked a smile. "I knew that would work..." He paused. "I'm not mad, not even a little. I would have told you that if you gave me enough time to process it. I know we said Ajay would be our last but plans change. I love our kids and I love you. Another mini Casey around the house isn't a bad thing, it's a gift."

          I chuckled. "What if it's a mini you?"

          "Then I guess we have our work cut out for us."

          I sighed in relief. "So, I may have jumped to conclusions... I'm sorry, I guess it was the hormones."

          He groaned. "Oh God, here we go. You're gonna start blaming those on everything you do."

          "Hey! They can make you a little crazy and besides, I've never been that bad. I was well-behaved with Natalie and Ajay."

          He laughed. "Whatever. Don't you recall, 'Brock, I want a cookies and cream blizzard from Dairy Queen? Brock, I want sour patch kids. Brock, I need a slushy. Brock, I think the bathroom needs remodeled. Brock, I really don't like this carpet, we need to change it.' Remember any of that?"

           "So?"

           "Babe, it was two in the morning and you were wanting the bathroom remodeled! I can deal with cravings, but that was a little crazy."

           I smiled. "I'll try to behave this time, promise."

           As the pain began to fade and my vision returned, Brock and I fell asleep after discussing names for a new Lesnar.