Chapter Six

"And when did the headaches start?" Doctor Myer asked as he sat down in front of me and looked at his notes. He was a tall, slim man in his early fifties, who had been working with the UFC for the past ten years. Dana asked for him specifically as he had treated Dana personally. He was a thorough doc and had already checked all my vitals and done a quick medical history in the past fifteen minutes.

           "Yesterday, I think. I mean, I've had headaches before but nothing that severe." I add as he jots down some notes.

           He nods. "Okay, and how was this one different besides the severity?"

           "I lost my sight for a few minutes. Not totally blind, but everything was extremely blurry and I had a hard time keeping my balance."

           He seemed curious by this as his pen glided across the paper quicker than before. "What were you doing when it started?"

           "Washing dishes." I added simply. "I had just came into the house and wanted to clean the kitchen up before going to bed."

           Doctor Myers cleared his throat. "Had you talked to anyone?"

           I shook my head and then realized that I had. "Actually, Brock had just came in from training. We were talking about packing for the fight."

           "Uh huh. Okay, and you mentioned earlier that it happened again today, but for a longer period of time?" I nod. "What were you doing then?"

           I thought for a moment. "Brock and I had just gotten on the plane to fly here. His trainer, Scott, was talking about his opponent... How strong his knees were and how fast he was on his feet."

           He looked up at me like a light bulb went off. "It scared you, didn't it?"

           I nodded. "A little."

           "Like I said, I've been working for the UFC for a long time and I've noticed some things. The fighter themselves are almost never as mentally damaged as their spouse. This business is dangerous and you being worried about your husband is normal but I'm pretty certain this is the cause for your headaches."

           I grimaced. "But you said it was normal?"

           "Worry is, but I think your body is going into its fight or flight mode. The source of your headaches is stress. I haven't taken blood or done any tests but I'd bet if I did, I would find hormones and enzymes to be elevated. I think in all the chaos of Brock returning to the business, you've acquired chronic stress disorder."

           At first, I didn't think he was serious. Surely Brock's sudden change of careers couldn't cause a disorder. That just sounded silly. I mean, I wasn't even the one fighting and my health had become a concern.

           It wasn't long after the doc told me that, that Brock came back from the weigh-in. He was eager to learn what the problem was and hoped that it had been fixed. "Chronic stress disorder... Okay, so you treated her?"

           The doc shook his head. "I'm afraid not. I can't prescribe any medication due to the fact that there isn't anything to help her. Her fight or flight response is a natural reaction the body has to stress. The headaches are directly related to that. Her brain is telling her body that something is wrong and her body is trying to react with an adrenaline rush to help her 'fight,' so to speak. When she doesn't respond, all that adrenaline is still in her blood and makes her blood pressure increase and heart rate accelerate, which causes the headaches. I'm afraid if this isn't taken care of, a possible heart attack or stroke can't be ruled out."