30. Meant to be

You didn't know how long you had been standing in the shadows of the trees

You didn't know how long you had been standing in the shadows of the trees. Hours? Perhaps, you thought. You were late though. You thought you would be. You stood, frozen just staring at the body limp on the ground. The longer you waited, the colder the body got.

Then, after a millennial you walked over. Scaring off the birds that were nearby, waiting for the body to decay so they could scavenge away at the rotting flesh.

You crouched over and turned the body over. He was beaten badly, beaten half to death by the enemy that laid not so far away. There was barely any chakra left. You weren't even sure if Neji was going to wake up. Let alone survive.

"Wake up," you demanded, your voice was foreign to you. He doesn't wake up. You didn't know why you had chosen to speak to an unconscious body. Perhaps deep down he could hear you. Or not, you thought.

It's quiet, not an eerie quiet but a peaceful quiet. The kind of quiet you enjoyed, the kind of quiet that used to dwell between you and your best friend when you were just hanging out in the room, meditating, reading a book, and just talking.

You raised your hand to his chest.

A small green aura flowed around your hands before growing into a beautiful, firm, ball of energy.

It didn't hurt to see him like this. It didn't hurt at all. You did not feel anything. Not even anger. You just felt quiet. Almost peaceful. You knew why you were here. Your purpose was never to save the spirits, this was your purpose, or maybe you were just crazy. No one will ever know.

No one will ever remember.

So what if you had lost your humanity? You were a leaf shinobi .

And leaf shinobis would die to save their comrades.

A smile flickered across your face but only for a mere second. This was how it was meant to be.

"If I had my humanity I would tell you how nice it would be if we had a picnic here."

Just you and the person you love.

"If I had my humanity I would tell you I love you and I would thank you for being my best friend."

And all the love you ever had came bleeding out.

"And if I had my humanity I would tell you that it will be cold. And it will snow, a lot, but spring will come again. She will come again even if she's not me. "

"Hey, buddy!" you waved your hand vigorously at Neji,
hoping you could make at least one new friend today.

---

"We're not just friends. We're BEST friends!"
"[name], stop calling me your best friend," Neji demanded.

---

Neji & [name] 5ever. You blushed and giggled,
wondering if Neji was thinking about you at this very moment.

----

"There are no flaws to the byakugan."
"But there is a flaw," you said.
"And what may that be?"
"Well, you can't see my soul but, I can see your's."

---

"Neji...you're so beautiful."
And on an impulse he kissed your forehead in return.
A kiss for a kiss.

---

He was her first love.

And he was her last.

--