9. PICNIC BASKET (edited)

Start from the beginning

"Why didn't you tell me that it was Cindy— I mean, Precious?" I quickly corrected myself, hoping that my PA had not caught onto my slip up there.

"But sir I thought—" My PA tried to explain but I was already ahead of her.

"Just send her up okay" I ordered her.

"Okay sir, she'll be right up"

The line went dead and it was this time that panic began setting in at the base of my stomach. Waiting for Cindy to get to my office was the very worst of it all, as I wondered what her reasons for visiting me would be. The knock on my office door snapped me out of my panicked state and I knew that it was show time.

"Come in" I answered. Cindy's head peaked in first and I saw her bright smile and my legs felt like jelly. How one woman could make me feel like that, I could not fully understand?

"I hope I'm not disturbing you too much?" Cindy asked as she stepped into my office.

"No not at all. I actually needed a break from all this work. Come on in and sit down, don't tell me you're going to stand at my door the entire time and talk to me from there?"

I watch as Cindy walked towards me, pulled out a chair and sat opposite me. The only thing separating us was my wooden office desk. I watched her eye's trail on all the documents and files on my table in utter disbelieved.

"It's not too much work, it only looks so" I answered before she could ask the question.

"No it is a lot of work. How do you do all this?" Cindy asked me, sympathetically. I placed my hands onto my desk and sighed.

"I guess we all have to do what must be done" I replied to her. Out of nowhere, silence filled the air. It was though as both Cindy and I ran out of things to say.

"I brought you something" Cindy broke the silence.

She took a picnic basket from the floor and placed it on my desk; I had not even realized that she had walked into my office with a basket. I stared at her in utter disbelief and I could almost feel my jaw dropping to the ground.

I watched as Cindy took out the contents of the basket and to my amazement, Cindy bought just what I liked. There were sandwiches, juice and even fruits.

"Cindy you do know that you're not required to do this for me right?" I told her even though my stomach growled with hunger.

She looked almost disappointed that I had told her that and it broke my heart to see her sad.

"But sir you did not have any lunch" She reminded me.

"And how do you know that I had not eaten lunch yet?" I asked Cindy, surprised that she had known this valuable piece of information without me telling her.

"The evidence is on your desk Mr. Felix"

I looked back at my desk and she was right, all the work stacked onto my desk was clear evidence that I had not even gotten up to stretch my arms.

"Where did you get the money to buy all this?" I asked her, hoping that she had no used from her wages.

"Well I took some money from my wages that you paid me last week" She answered innocently, this leaving me to hand my head in shame.

I ran my hand across my forehead, refusing to believe that she had actually done that for me, someone that she should have hated with her whole heart.

"Cindy that pay cheque was for you to spend on yourself and not on me"

"Okay if you're upset I won't do it again, but please eat something, I don't want you fainting due to starving yourself.

"Cindy have you yourself had lunch?" I asked her.

"Well—"

"Cindy do not lie to me" I told her, my voice stern.

"No Mr. Felix. But I'll eat as soon as I get home"

"Well I don't want my house help to faint due to her starving herself too. Cindy you're having lunch with me today" I informed her, her eyes widened with shock.

"No, this lunch is for you only and—" I knew that if I had to argue with her I'd lose so I tried emotional blackmail.

"Cindy if you refuse to eat lunch with me today then I'll stay hungry"

"But sir—"

"No but's" I could see from the way she acted that she'd given up the fight and that I won.

"Okay Mr. Felix, I'll have lunch with you"

"And Cindy one more thing I'd like to mention. Don't call me Mr. Felix or Mr. Martini, just Felix is okay" I told Cindy, hoping that she would stick to it.

"Okay Mr. F— I mean okay Felix" Cindy corrected herself.

Just like that, we proceeded eating our lunch in my office. We told each other stories, I told her stories about my childhood, which was funny, because she chose to tell me African folk tales instead. I watched as Cindy chewed her food, every time she did that seemed sexier than the one before.

Dammit Felix, be careful you night just end up being burnt for this.