Chapter Thirty Seven

Two more weeks proved Bobby wasn't over Adam and me. He hadn't looked at me, let alone spoken two words to me. It was almost unbearable, but Jesse had me working late almost every night as we pushed to get the advertising and branding done for a big client who just signed a contract with us. My lack of being home took away the constant feeling of bitterness from Bobby, because well, I just hadn't seen him that much.

Adam hadn't been so lucky. He hinted to Bobby's attitude without really talking about it. I wasn't sure how much longer they could take one another, especially with all the yelling that was going on.  I could hear them hollering at one another over the TV, followed by the slam of a door and my own door flying open before Adam closed it and came to sit beside me.

"Shits hit the fan with Bobby. He's being a fucking asshole 24/7. I can barely stand to be around him," Adam said as he let his head roll loosely against his shoulders.

"He has Tara, what's he being such a big baby about?" I asked as I lay beside him and placed my head in his lap.

He looked down at me, chest rising with a deep breath. "Tara's not you, Riv."

I clenched my fists and sat up with my back facing Adam. I wasn't Tara, and that was exactly why Bobby shouldn't be acting like a total ass. He had her. He proved he didn't need me even before he found out about Adam and me. He stopped talking to me about everything and was obviously confiding in her. I'd come to terms with that now, but I couldn't come to terms with him ignoring me and treating Adam like shit because we were in love. I ran my hands through my hair before looking up at Adam, finally asking. "What was that about?"

"I threw out the sponge because it was gross, and apparently he needed to use it."

I furrowed my brow before asking, "Do you think I should talk to him?"

Adam rubbed my back. "He's livid with me—maybe with you he'll be more understanding."

I looked over my shoulder at Adam's soft brown eyes and tussled hair. He was everything I ever wanted and needed. Adam was perfect in all his flaws, and Bobby was perfect as a friend, which was something he could never accept but he needed to. We all needed him to, Adam, me and Tara.

"Your brother has known since we were sixteen how I felt about you," I said as I pulled my knees to my chest and hugged them.

Adam scoffed, head jerking back. "Asshole," he muttered under his breath.

"What?" I asked.

"Of course he'd keep that from me," Adam replied with arms crossed and lips pursed.

I nudged him in the ribs with a smile."You still won, though, didn't you?"

Adam's eyes teased me as he tilted my chin so our lips met. "Damn, right. He's won everything else, but all that really mattered was you."

I narrowed my eyes at him as he moved away. "Really, I thought you said I wasn't a prize."

"You're not."

"So what am I? The toy you both wanted for Christmas?"

Adam's eyebrows rose. "The only toy I'll ever need."

"You're so dirty!" I said as I stood to walk pass him, only to get yanked into his arms.

"We could go get clean?" he suggested, lips trailing over my collarbone, making my stomach twist in happy circles.

"I thought you wanted me to go talk Bobby off that cliff he's hanging off of?"

Adam heaved a sigh. "Yeah..."

"The things I do for you," I said as I stood again and headed towards the door.

"And for Tara." Adam added, and I nodded.

He was right. I wasn't going to let Bobby break my only girl friend's heart. I Bobby was different for Tara; with every other guy she was unbreakable, but she was head over heels for him.

I peeked my head in the door. "Bobby?"

"Hey," he answered, head in the refrigerator.

"Hungry?" I asked, walking in and glancing into the empty fridge with him.

"Yeah." Bobby leaned up and his stomach growled. "Kinda sick of pizza."

"You should come over and have dinner."

Bobby perked up. I should have known food would fix everything.

"Meatballs?" he asked, drool practically dribbling down his chin.

"Sure," I replied with the sweetest smile I could muster. I knew this was far too easy to be true and watched as his body stiffened.

He ran his tongue across the inside of his cheek. "Where's Adam?"

"Waiting for me to cook dinner," I answered, watching his reaction carefully.

Bobby turned his back to me.  "No thanks," he muttered into the refrigerator.

"Come on Bobby!" I begged. "This has got to stop!"

Bobby whipped the door shut, and the whole appliance shook as he turned to look at me. "No!"

I stepped back, my chest tightening. "Why not?"

"It was always going to be one of us. I knew you made your decision long ago, but I didn't know it would hurt this much. You've abandoned me, and so has he," Bobby said as he braced himself with his hands on the island.

"It's not like that," I said, and I felt my throat thickening as my chin trembled.

"What's it like then? It was always him, wasn't it? I never stood a chance...all these years and I was lying to myself. You were my forever River, and now I have nothing!" Bobby's voice cracked as his eyes washed over mine.

I knew my face held the answer.

"I still love you Bobby—you're as much a part of me as him. It's just not the same," I tried to explain, but his face showed I failed. I could feel the thickening of my throat as I saw his composure failing him. His words carved into my heart, and I knew no matter what my happiness would destroy at least one person I loved.

He clenched his jaw, a harsh breath hissing through his teeth as he looked at the hardwood floors.

"I wish I could've made you love me." His eyes rose, bitter, as he continued, "All he's ever going to cause you is pain."

I could feel the anger only adding to my urge to burst into tears. I turned away from him and rushed to the door. I knew he was following me.

I turned, a foot away from the door and thrust my finger in his chest. "He's still your brother!"

Bobby towered over me now, and I had to look up at him. He looked mean, more mean than I'd ever seen him.

"What," he hissed; "makes you think you're any different than any other girl he's fucked? Huh!"

I was trembling as I met his toxic stare. I went to reach for the door, but it burst open with a slam.

"You piece of shit!" Adam raced past me and nailed Bobby square in the face.

I heard the crack, and I knew either Bobby's nose or Adam's knuckles were broken—or both.

"I love her!" Adam yelled as he shook his swelling hand. His voice turned to a pained whisper as he stared his brother down, "I love her more than anything in this whole fucking world, including you!"