Chapter Fifteen

Bobby's revelation about Adam only made it harder to talk to him. It was easier to avoid Adam completely, but I couldn't help but glance at him as I got into my car, or as I closed the door of my apartment before he could speak. His eyes were always sad, begging me to stop and talk to him, but I never did. Bobby on the other hand was too busy with the reappearance of the girlfriend he didn't really like. But instead of mopping around alone I broke down and invited Tara over. Tara was one of my only girlfriends, but between work and hanging out with the boys I never really found too much time for her.

I had been avoiding her for the mere fact I knew she would try to fix me up with someone as a solution to the Adam problem. She had a caring nature which always inspired her to hook me up with one of her current boyfriend's friends. It also didn't help she had a major crush on Bobby, and telling her he had a girlfriend would motivate her even more to create a ridiculous double date. It was just a matter of when more than if.

We stood out on the balcony with wine coolers chatting about work when I heard giggling below. We stopped talking, and I watched as Adam came to the entrance with a girl piggybacked on him. I knew my body had frozen with drink half-way up to my mouth as I watched. It confirmed the kiss meant nothing, but sent nausea rolling in my stomach.

Adam's eyes drifted from the path in front of him up to the balcony, and the smile plastered on his face disappeared as we stared at one another. I looked back up at Tara as I tried to keep the anger and hurt down. Her chin tucked into her neck as she looked at me. She'd seen the glance Adam and I exchanged, and her wrinkled brow signaled she was suspicious.

"Wait a second; did something happen between you two?" she asked.

"Why would you say that?" I replied much too quick.

She narrowed her eyes at me as she loosened her pointer finger from her bottle and pointed between me and the space where Adam had been. "That was awkward, and you look like someone took a hockey stick to your stomach more than the usual amount when you see him with someone else."

"Well, Bobby has a new girlfriend!" I managed to say.

She looked up at the sky and blew her hair from her eyes. "So, I have a crush on Bobby...it's not like you and Adam."

I rubbed my face with my free hand. "Nothing happened."

Tara broke out into one of those smiles I hated—one that let me know she had an evil plan.

"Great! I have a new boy toy, and he has a friend who's dying to meet you," she said, and her eyes begged me to deny her the pleasure.

"Wonderful, when did you set it up?"

I knew she had done it without asking.

"Tonight?" she asked, tilting her head and fluttering her lashes.

"Great," I answered, dragging out the word.

P

Tara knew I wasn't very amused as she layered on my eye makeup with a pout in an attempt to change the way I felt. She pulled a lipstick from her purse, slowly pushing the stick out and revealing its bright red color.

"Pucker," she said, and when I did she applied the makeup. She stepped back and put her hands on her hips. "Could you act a little more enthusiastic?"

I looked down at the little black dress she chose from my closet. It was ruched on one side and just above my chest the material turned to lace.

"At least I look hot," I answered.

"Andy won't be able to say no, even if you do act like you have a stick up your ass all night," Tara said as she shoved the makeup drawer in my vanity shut. "But I'll be pissed at you if you do."

"Tara," I began as I stood. "Let me remind you, you dragged me into this like you always do."

She rolled her eyes as she left the bathroom, swaying her curvy hips on the way out. She chose a red dress that hugged her frame in all the right places. I should have known when she came up with a bag she planned something more than just hanging out all day.

"I'll be tolerable," I said just as a knock came on the door.

"I thought we were meeting them there?" I asked as I headed to answer it.

Tara shrugged. "We are."

I opened the door to see Adam standing there with his head hanging.

"We need to," Adam began as he looked up. He paused when he saw my outfit then continued in a barely audible voice; "talk."

Tara popped up over my shoulder, dangling my red stilettos. "Sorry, River and I have a double date we need to get to."

Adam's jaw clenched, and he nodded. For the second time that night I wanted to flip my hand back and slap her.

"I can see that. You both look amazing," he said, his eyes never leaving my face as he gave a weak smile before turning with his hands clenched.

"We can talk later if you want," I said to his back.

When he reached the door he paused with his hand on the door. His upper lip arched up as he thought of his response.

"No, on second thought I don't think it's necessary anymore. Have a good time," he answered, his eyes on his hand as he turned the knob.

Tara nudged me with the shoes again as I stared at the now closed door. What had he meant by necessary anymore?

I wanted to knock the door down to ask him what he was talking about—to demand he felt the same about me as I did him. To save me from the infernal Hell Tara was about to put me through; to save me from myself. I couldn't, though. Instead I turned and took the shoes Tara was shoving in my face.

"We'll be late if we don't get going," Tara reminded me.

I slipped the shoes on before answering her, "Can you drive? I'm not feeling that well all of a sudden."

"Andy will fix it," Tara said as she grabbed her keys and slipped her own shoes on.

"Doubtful," I said to myself as I followed her out the door.