Chapter Ten: Unforgiving and Pure

(Katniss's POV)

I look at him and grin, not knowing what to think of him approaching me.

Yes, Finnick Odair is approaching me.

He's something of a legend in Panem, winning the Hunger Games at the age of fourteen, making himself one of the youngest victors ever.

There's too much of a story to tell about him, so I'll just cut to the chase.

"Hello Finnick," I greet and a wide grin appears in his face.

"Do you want a sugar cube? They're supposed to be for the horses, but who cares about them, right? They've got years to eat sugar, whereas you and I, well, we see something sweet, better grab it," he says, holding the square of sugar in my face, making me flinch.

I'm still sore from childbirth, and still easily startled, so Finnick doing what he's doing isn't helping my condition.

"Peeta's coming. I'm sorry you had to cancel your wedding. I know how devastating that must be for you," Finnick says and strolls off.

Peeta comes up to me. "What did Finnick Odair want?"

"To know all my secrets."

"Not really."

"Really. I'll tell you more once my skin stops crawling," I say and let the shiver that's been waiting on my neck down my spine, finally allowing my body to let loose.

Peeta laughs. "Come on."

He helps me onto the chariot and I adjust his crown that is similar to my own.

"Have you seen it turned on? We're going to be fabulous again," I comment.

"Oh yes. But Portia said we have to be above it all....where is she and Cinna anyways?" Peeta asks.

I shrug, but that's when our chariot jolts forwards and follows the others.

We were unforgiving. And I love it.

I press the little button Cinna gave me and Peeta turns his own outfit on and the cheers for us grow louder.

Am I going crazy, seeing that Snow is also watching me?

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Haymitch greets Peeta and me afterwards with the District Eleven tributes, Chaff and Seeder.

I embrace Seeder. "The families?"

"They're alive," she answers, referring to Rue's and Thresh's families.

There was a little mishap in District Eleven....I don't want to talk about it. Not now. Probably not ever.

Peeta rests his hand on my back and Chaff gives me a kiss full on the mouth.

I pull away quickly upon contact, shocked.

"Let's go," I say and storm off towards the elevators, leaving Haymitch behind with his beer buddy.

Once we step in, a woman in a tree costume steps in. "Well, that was one heck of a show, wasn't it Fire Girl?"

Johanna Mason, the only female District Seven victor, who started out weak in her Games, then came out later as a ruthless killer.

Then she strips down before I can reply, right with her back towards my husband, and smirks. "That's better."

For the rest of the ride, at least up until Johanna's floor, she chats with Peeta about his paintings, his still-glowing costume casting shadows upon Johanna's naked body.

The seventh floor comes up and Johanna struts out of the elevator and Peeta bursts out laughing.

I look at him and frown. "Stop making fun of me, Peeta."

He regains his composure. "Huh?"

"You're making fun of me. Stop it," I repeat angrily, crossing my arms.

Peeta frowns. "But Katniss, can't you see? With Finnick and the sugar cubes, Chaff kissing you, Johanna stripping? You're so....."

"What?" I press.

"You're so pure," he finishes and flinches away from me, aware of my fuming mad expression that he knows all too well.

"I am not! Don't you remember us showering together on the Victory Tour? Belle's conception? What do you call that? I call it actual love. Doesn't seem like you still love me, though," I say and look at the floor, tears dripping onto it.

Peeta strokes my back. "I didn't mean to offend you at all...can I make it up to you at all?"

The door opens and we step into our floor. "Maybe we can just have a day before we're sent to our deaths to ourselves? We need our space from Belle, and I think Haymitch needs to make more money," I suggest.

Peeta smiles. "Okay. Now go get Belle."

"What, were the Avoxes caring for her while all of us were gone?" I ask, rolling my eyes.

He gives me a look. "No. That's where Cinna and Portia were during the parade. Watching Belle."

"How do you know?" I ask as I go up to him.

"There's a note that says that they took her out for a little bit to fit baby outfits for her. It's the least they can do," Peeta paraphrases.

I smile. "Cinna always knew how to make me happy. Seems like he's done it again."

Peeta pecks my lips, nodding. "Let's go wash up for dinner."

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Literally, I am obsessed with Cary Elwes (pictured above) and Matthew Broderick, who you might recognize as Ferris Bueller because they were both included in this movie we watched in history class called "Glory

Literally, I am obsessed with Cary Elwes (pictured above) and Matthew Broderick, who you might recognize as Ferris Bueller because they were both included in this movie we watched in history class called "Glory."

I would recommend it, but it's rated R 😒

"I'm not fighting this war for you." -Trip Glory