Chapter 3

Finally, my month passed. Aunt Hep had left after a few days, saying that having her underfoot again would agitate the Queen even more, but that she expected frequent letters. But because Guinevere kept me so busy, I didn't have much time with Bess, much less for letter-writing.

However, I had learned the layout of the castle and grounds intimately, all of the staff on a first name basis, and knew who all of the permanent residents of the castle were. I knew when deliveries came and had met several of the farmers and merchants. I knew several of the guards and their families, although I avoided the front gate guards for fear of running into the one Aunt Hep had saved me from two years ago.

And I knew all of the nobles, by sight and reputation, if nothing else.

Many of the knights didn't stay in Camelot. They had their own lands and only visited. But that was usually in the spring and summer, when the weather was better for traveling. There were a few who stayed permanently, or whose lands were close enough that visiting frequently wasn't a problem.

But with all I had learned, I feared it still wouldn't be enough. My stomach was knotted that morning as I waited in my room. My packed bag sat on the freshly-made bed and I paced.

When the page knocked, I nearly jumped out of my own skin.

"They've asked me to fetch you, Lady Meagan," Danny, the page, said when I opened the door.

"I've told you before, Danny, I'm just Meagan," I told him as I stepped into the hallway.

"My Da says that you're a kind and nice woman, and that all kind and nice women are ladies," Danny said, turning his brown eyes up at me.

"Well, thank your Da for that," I smiled at him, "But calling me Lady Meagan implies nobility, and I'm no more noble than you are. If a true Lady were to hear you say that, she would likely box your ears."

"Well, you will be when you're made permanent," Danny said proudly, "My Da said I was to call you that then."

I squirmed inwardly. The likelihood of that happening wasn't very high.

"That's only an honorific title," I explained as we walked to the throne room.

"What does hon-or-if-ic mean?" he asked me.

"It means it's just pretend," I told him, "The servants would be required to call me that, but none of the nobles would be. I'm just a servant like you still, in reality. And since that's the case, it doesn't mean anything. I'm just the same as you are and I don't want you to forget that."

Danny didn't say anything else as he escorted me to the wide doors. The guards in front recognized me, as I had been to – and through – the throne room many times over my month on various errands. But I had never been present when the King and Queen held audience before. They both nodded slightly and opened the door for us. Danny scurried back to his place along the wall and I approached to the right, where the rest of the summoned or petitioners waited. There was a seating area to the left where the nobles in attendance fanned themselves and fawned over the royal couple.

It seemed I was the last to be called today, as the waiting area was empty and most of the nobles had already left. Only a few stragglers and those attending the current petitioner, Baron something or other, remained.

"So you see, your Majesties, the need for expanding the Imperial boundaries has grown critical. We cannot further continue to increase our productivity without gaining the rich farmland to the north," he said as he paced before their dais.