Chapter 4

The castle had a unique system of summoning pages or sending messages. I didn't know how it worked, exactly, but Aunt Hep told me it came from the same source as the heat for the castle. There were several discrete people, all under Drake's authority, who read the messages that came in, and dispatched pages to perform various tasks or sent messages from one person to another.

I didn't use the opening in the wall of the Queen's outer chamber to send a message.

I picked the petite, sleeping Queen, up in my arms and got her into the first secret passage I could. From there, I carried her back to my apartment and laid her on my bed. I covered her and stoked the fire and shut the door.

And then I panicked.

My first day on the job and this is what I had to deal with?

I wrote my first message, which was for Drake himself, to come see me in my apartments immediately on a matter of utmost delicacy. I waited about ten minutes, and then sent another asking Bess to come to me immediately.

I peeked in on Guinevere again, but she had not stirred. I did, however, see dried blood in her hairline in the growing light of dawn. I closed the door to let her rest, and busied myself with my herb-basket until a knock sounded on the door.

"Lord Chamberlin, do come in," I told him in a hushed voice, "And please let us keep our voices low."

"Lady Meagan," he bowed, "I have a bit of a crisis of my own, so if we can be quick?"

"If you're looking for the King," I said, "He's passed out, drunk, on the Queen's bed. He will need clothing, as I saw none in her bed chamber. I've moved the Queen here for the time being."

He blinked at me in surprise, "Why was it necessary to move her and how did you manage that?"

"I do not know what happened, but based on the bruises and blood upon her face, and the fact that she was huddled next to the grate with only her robe covering her, I thought it best to move her somewhere safe before his Majesty awoke," I sighed.

"Who else knows of this?" he demanded, "Who did you have carry her?"

"No one, Lord Chamberlin," I shook my head, "I picked her up and carried her myself. No one saw us."

"You carried her, Lady Attendant?" he asked dubiously, "You're hardly bigger than she is."

"I'm a farm girl, my Lord. I'm used to carrying heavy things," I shrugged, "And the Queen is hardly heavier than a bushel of beets. Has this happened before?"

"No, at least not with the Queen," he replied, confirming my suspicions, "How is she?"

"She is still asleep and I haven't examined her yet," I told him, "But, under the circumstances, I think it wise to cancel Court today. Neither of them will be in any shape for it. And it's doubtful that the Queen will be attending for at least a week."

"I shall say that they've both caught cold," Drake agreed, "This is most troubling, my Lady."

"Agreed," I nodded, "If it happened once, it will happen again, if steps aren't taken. I'm requesting a guard at the Queen's door every night and that you put someone with the King with a level head and a moderation for alcohol."

"Yes," he sighed again, "You are correct. I will see to it."

Bess knocked on my door, just then, and I let her in.

"One moment, Lord Chamberlin," I told him and led Bess across the room.

"I need you to stay here while I run an errand with Lord Chamberlin," I told her, "The Queen is asleep in my bedroom and isn't likely to wake before I return. But if she does, try to get her to drink some tea and keep your eyes lowered. Tell her I will be back soon and don't say anything else."