Chapter 38 - Moving Out

Start from the beginning

"I'm proud of you. You deserve all the happiness in the world."

"I have something to ask you. I- I thought... Why don't you move in with me?"

"Would you like that? You know I'm not in a rush. We take things at the pace you set."

"I'm not ready for a lifetime commitment, but every evening when I come home, I realize how much I miss you and how I wish we were together."

"How soon do you want me home?" I ask, making her smile.

"Today I'm working the evening shift at the restaurant. I will come here afterwards and help you pack."

"Sounds like a sweet deal. I won't miss Alex's moans and grunts."

Nadine laughs, and it makes me happy seeing her like this.

"You smell earthy. Were you at the farm?"

"Yeah, I felt bored and tried it, mostly helping Kit's dad in the patch."

"He is nice, isn't he? I feel jealous of the guys."

"You know what he told me? That he hopes I will see him as an older brother. It felt odd but good. I probably make no sense."

"We have been kicked around long enough. We find it hard to believe people care about us."

"Trust doesn't come easy for me."

"I understand, yet I would reconsider when it comes to Mr. Marshall. Did Huritt or Alex help you this morning to get dressed?"

I remember the incident of this morning and smile.

"No, Mr. Marshall- Joe did. I want to go to the kids club and tell Amy about us moving together."

Nadine gifts me a beautiful smile and together we walk to the main building where she heads to the restaurant. I find Amy by herself at the club.

"How come you are here alone?"

"What are you doing here? The girls are taking a walk with the kids. They wanted to check if Bart or Miguel could teach them to shoot hoops. Is everything okay?"

"More than okay. I came to tell you that tonight I'm moving in with Nadine."

"That is wonderful! I'm so happy for you," she pats my cheek with her usual sweet affection.

"I love her," I admit. "Never thought I could feel like this about anyone. She says she isn't ready for a commitment, but I know that one day she will be my wife."

Amy lets out a sigh.

"How about you and Huritt? Do you want to marry him?"

"Will you think I'm a fool if I say yes?"

"No, not at all. In fact, I hope you guys marry when the time is right. You look radiant since you guys are together."

"That's silly," she waves her hand and looks embarrassed. "I will help you to pack when my shift finishes. That way you can head immediately to your new home."

"Nadine had to go to court this morning for the case against Pratt. I don't have all the details, but he won't come out of jail anytime soon."

"After what he did to Nadine and you, I hope he never gets out."

"I hope so too. I'm going upstairs to let the guys know I'm moving out of the lodge and then will head to rest."

I head up the stairs and to my luck, I find three out of the four Marshall brothers in the office.

"Hey, Chris! How can I help you?" Rowtag looks up from a stack of papers.

"You guys have already helped me more than enough. Nadine has asked me to move in with her, and I have accepted. Amy will give me a hand with packing, and I will leave the lodge tonight."

"What? No! You are not leaving me with Alex and his sex factory," Huritt looks alarmed.

"You still have your dad," I try to keep a serious face.

"It's a matter of time before Alex pollutes Dad. No middle age women in the ranch will be safe," Huritt says, making us laugh.

"Come on, Dad isn't that bad," Istu says.

"Did you know the woman Mom found him with is my age?" Huritt continues.

"He looks young for his age." Rowtag says. "Let him enjoy himself. Karen messed his life long enough. Sorry Istu, I know she's your mother."

"Not offended at all. I'm well aware of the misery she put him through. I asked him yesterday why he cheated on Mom. You know what he said? That the young woman gave him a bit of love. A bit of love! That is all he wants."

I smile at Istu. We all have had it rough, including his dad.

"Nadine is a wonderful woman, and I'm glad she found you," Rowtag says. "Let us know if we can do anything to make your life together more comfortable."

"There's maybe something. I heard about what you did for Sebastian. Nadine would also love to go back to school. She aspires to become a chef."

"Consider it done. We will find a reasonable schedule for her at the restaurant so she can combine it."

"Thanks, guys. I need to lie down now. Who knew watering plants would exhaust me?"

I look at Istu, his mouth is partially open while staring at something behind me. I turn around to see a man... one I've seen before.

"I'm back," he smiles at Istu.