Two

By just looking at his appearance, Russel Curtis is totally a boy-next-door material. He is tall, has an average build and fair skin. He looks intelligent and wholesome, like a ladies' man. Sab has seen nurses and patients almost swoon when he pass by. He is the kind of guy that you'd fall in love with at first sight. If only his attitude was nice, he'd be a perfect package.

Sab's mother always say that she resembles her father so much, only that her hair was black, which she inherited from her mother. Sab totally got her father's brown eyes, nose and smile. When she entered the university, she bleached her hair so it would be blonde, same as her father. When she looks at the mirror, she sees him, and it makes her miss him less.

"Johnson, just give up and give me the opportunity." They were back at the headquarters. He pushed his chair and sat beside her desk. Sab kept her gaze on the book she is reading. She can't even look at his face without having the urge to punch him.

"Are you saying something, Curtis?" Sab feels so in control. When they first met, he was not the welcoming kind. He ignored her for weeks, and then he would always tell her what to do like she was under him. It was only when Bryanna joined them that Sab learned to brush him off.

"I just don't want to embarrass you." His tone was so confident. "I mean it's embarrassing when you lose at the end."

"That's so thoughtful of you, but I advise that you mind your own business." Her day is not complete without shutting this guy down. It is in their everyday routine.

Bryanna joined the conversation. "Can I please have lunch with the hospital representative in UK?"

Both Sab and Russel looked at Bryanna, their eyes curious on what she is up to, who she is talking with. She laughed and said, "I am talking to Sab. Don't look at me, Rus."

Russel grunts and stomps out of the room.

+++

"Are you home?"

"I'm on the way, Mother." Sab responded on her mobile phone.

Her way home was her favorite road to take since it brings her closer to rest. It is a notion that doctors rarely go home, and there is no lie to that. Sab hardly had a chance to sleep in her apartment and that's the fact she accepted upon entering med school.

Sab resides in a quiet place, fifteen minutes away from the hospital, and a block away from the busy street. The building has fifteen floors, and a rooftop which is mostly why she leased the place despite the rent price. She likes hanging out on the rooftop whenever it is her day off, with a coffee, while enjoying the beautiful landscape of the city.

"How was work?" Her mother asked on loudspeaker. Her taxi passed by the famous shopping street, and was slowed down by the traffic. Sab notices that the pedestrian were more than usual and almost everyone have their eyes fixated on the big screen installed on one of the buildings.

"It was tiring, but it's fine. And I was informed that I was under consideration to be sent to United Kingdom." She replied as she puts the window down to see what is going on. Usually the screen only shows the time and advertisements of expensive commodities but today is different.

"Really? Congratulations dear! Tell me more about it."

The screen flashes the letters in bold, black on white background, with little red hearts falling like snow. It says:

OLIVIA, WILL YOU MARRY ME?

Sab instantly laughs upon reading the message. She thinks it is too funny, and she took a side glance on the taxi driver who seems to have the same reaction. It was too cheesy for her to handle, and it amuses her how people were awed by this overly romantic act, and then she realizes that she is not like most of these people, who feel for this kind of things.

"Mother, can I call you later? There's like an event here, like a wedding proposal for someone named Olivia."

"Olivia? She has the same name as your friend from high school."

Yes, she does. "Bye mother," Sab ended the call and shoves her phone back into her bag. She suddenly cannot stop thinking about Olivia now, that Olivia from high school. The Olivia she runs to even late at night when she had problems. The Olivia she told all her secrets to. The Olivia everybody loves, that bright child Olivia.

"What are you going to do after high school, Sab?" Olivia asked one time they had a sleepover. They were sixteen, a year away from finishing high school.

"I don't know Oliv. Why are people making us decide what our future's going to be at this age? We don't know much." Sab wrapped a blanket around her shoulder. "Maybe I'd study business at a nearby university so I wouldn't have to leave Dad."

Olivia smiled. "I'd do the same. Study business. My boyfriend and I planned it together. He's ahead of us so he'll start college next year."

"How come I still haven't met that boyfriend of yours?"

"We just got together. You'll meet him at the party. He's a senior so he's quite busy." Olivia's eyes say it all, and Sab is happy that her best friend is happy. "You're coming, right?"

"Yes, there's someone I need to talk to, and that's probably the last time that I'll meet him."

Olivia grabbed Sab's shoulders, surprised. "You have someone? And you didn't bother to tell me?"

"He doesn't know." Sab giggled. "He's my first love, and I think he ought to know."

Olivia squealed, excited. "And I thought you don't feel things like love. Tell me more."

Maybe it is her friend, Olivia. But then, maybe she is not. Maybe her friend is already married and does not need cheesy proposals like this anymore. Maybe she is happy with her husband and kids, while managing her successful business. Sab is full of thoughts. One thing is for sure, girls named Olivia are lucky.