Her

While we walked to school Garroth and Vylad couldn't stop talking about the day ahead of them. I stayed behind them, trying to pretend this wasn't happening.

"I can't wait to have biology! Did you guys know we have a world language class!" Vylad said excitedly.

"I'm just exited to make some new friends!" Garroth laughed.

The word "friends" burned into my head. I didn't even think about making friends until now. Being social is nothing you need to worry about when your home schooled. You don't need to be friends with your siblings, they don't care how you are since you see them every day and they practically know everything about you. But becoming friends with strangers is always hard for me. Whenever my family had a family reunion, Garroth and Vylad would go outside and play with are cousins and I would always stay back, waiting until it was time to go home.

Another reason why today is going to be miserable.

"Hey Zane!" Garroth said as he broke my thought.

"Huh- oh um,yeah Garroth?" I asked as I started walking with them again.

"Mom wanted me to give you this, it's your locker number and lock combination. Inside your locker will be your schedule." Garroth said as he handed me a card.

The piece of paper read:

Locker number : 204 Lock combination : 36 - 21 - 36

After I finished reading it I looked at Garroth and nodded. I shoved the card in my coat pocket.

"Are lockers wont be next to each others because every grade your in has a different floor were all your classes are except gym and lunch." Vylad explained.

We walked to school in a line together on the sidewalk. In distance the school came into view. It was a four story building with many windows. Their was a sign right next to the school saying "Welcome back students! " In red bold letters. We walked to the front doors, the sound of students talking overwhelmed me. We stopped walking.

"Well this is it!" Garroth says.

"Yep, a new adventure and experiences!" Vylad says smiling at us.

"See you guys on the other side." I say grimly.

And with that, Garroth opens the doors and we walk in the student filled hallway.

The noise of the hallway makes me nervous.

I walk up the stairs to my locker.

200-201-202-203-204! I go up to my locker. A boy and a girl are standing in front of my locker talking. "Excuse me-" I mumble as I try to get to my locker. They don't notice. "Can you please move. I need to go to my locker!", still nothing. "CAN YOU MOVE PLEASE!" I yell. They move back frightened. "Can you chill!? How about asking us nicely first before you spaz out!" The girl yells at me. "Ya! Just ask first before you yell at us like that you FREAK!" The boy adds.

Freak.

I shove the boy hard and he falls on the ground. "OW! What the heck man!" the boy yells at me as he gets up. "SHUT UP YOU IDIOT! DON'T YOU EVER CALL ME A FREAK OR SO HELP ME I'LL BREAK YOUR LEG!" I scream at him and shove him again. The girl pulls him up, she has tears in her eyes, what have I done? "I'LL GET YOU FOR THIS!" The boy yells at me as he and the girl run away.

My anger of the past got the best of me.

I quickly go to my locker and hold the lock. I turn the lock to 36, then 21, the 36. It opens! I open the door and inside is a piece of paper on the shelf with my class schedule on it.

Literature 308 -French 106 -LUNCH-Math 415-Science 419

I read it then crumpled it and put it in my pocket. I shove my backpack in my locker, then I take out my notebook and a pencil and close my locker. I lock it, then I run to Literature. When I get to room 308, I walk inside. Theres a seating chart on the desk. I look at it, I sit next to the window in the first row.

I go to my spot and sit down. The bell rings and everyone sits down. The teacher walks in, he has big glasses and a coffee stain on his shirt. I laugh under my breath as he sits down in his desk.

"Good morning students,I'm Mr.Clark." He says.

He takes a box from under his desk and sets it on his table. The box is filled of books. He hands one to everyone, it's a poetry book.

"I want everyone to read this during this class period.Its only 52 pages long so it should be a quick read" he says, a few people groan.

How is 52 pages a "quick read"?!

"Your homework for this class is to find a poem in this book that describes you, you'll share it next class. This book should give you ideas."

After he gave everyone a book he put the box back under his desk and then sat back down at his desk. He put his feet up on his desk and then took the newspaper and started reading it. A kid in the front raises his hand but the teacher ignores them. "Mr.Clark, I have a question." the kid says. "No talking." Mr.Clark says as he turns the page.

"Wow....This guy is a really bad teacher." a voice behind me whispers to me.

I turn around to see a girl with wavy long black hair and caramel eyes. She's wearing a purple sweater, blue capris, and purple high tops. She's probably popular. She smiles at me.

I laugh a little then whisper back "Yeah, did you see the coffee stain on his shirt!"

She giggles then whispers "I know! It's huge! And he doesn't even know!"

I laugh and then smile at her.

"My name is Aphmau, Aphmau Phoenix." She whispers and holds out her hand.

I shake her hand and whisper "My name is Zane, Zane Ro'meave."

"NO TALKING YOU TWO!" Mr.Clark yells.

I turn around, when he starts to read his newspaper again I turn back around to Aphmau and roll my eyes.

She giggles.

It's weird. How I can open up to this girl I just met, but can't open up to my family. I want to act like the Zane that doesn't care, the one who doesn't try to be friendly, but I can't.

I can't because she's different.

Author note: this is kinda cliche but stay with me!