Chapter Forty Two- Watching

"That's it for today!" Naomi called to the models and other photographers on set before everyone took a long sigh as the long day finally ended. Naomi was among them, as he packed up her camera before being acknowledged by one of the male models.

"I like your style Naomi. Erwin would be proud."

"You knew him?"

He nodded. "I was working in a taco truck when he saw me. Asked me to come take a few test shots to possibly fill in and I never returned to work." He smiled. "He gave me my start, same as you..."

She smiled. "I wish I could do that..."

"Do what?"

"Help people like he did. I love taking photos...but...I wish it was for a better cause-you know?"

"Then do it." She gave him a confused expression.

"Do a shoot for cancer awareness-all proceeds from the photos go to charity or something-"

"That's actually a really good idea. Would you want to help?"

"I'd love to...but I'm booked. Unfortunately, living in New York is incredibly expensive-"

"I used to live there..."

"That's right. I saw one of your shows about...three years ago..."

"Really?"

He nodded. "Well...here's my card..." he said as he took a small slip of paper from his pocket. "I'm booked for the next two months or so but if you are in a tight space...I'm here for ya."

"Thank you...truly..."

"Of course." He exited the set before she moved to her apartment before finding a package awaiting her in the mail. Placing it upon the counter, she had ignored it, before turning on the news and taking her new wine bottle and popping it open before pouring a glass. Sitting down to rest, she took her sketch pad and began writing down ideas before the package intrigued her from her peripheral vision. Ignoring it for the first few hours of being home, she could take it no longer and moved to the small box. She pulled out a box of candy and a postcard from her hometown before scowling at the box. Finding no return address, she believed it to be fan mail before taking the candy and sitting on the couch, taking out a piece before her finger felt a pinch. Dropping the small candy, she saw it to have a small sharp piece of metal in the candy.

"What the hell!" She said as she sucked on her thumb before placing the rest of the candy in a bowl and seeing how each piece had been plagued with a piece of metal.

"Sydney, you need to get over here right now!"

"I'm in the middle of a-"

"Now!" She hung up before hearing a knock on her door about twenty minutes later. Pulling her publicist into the apartment, she showed her the candy and postcard before her mouth dropped open.

"Do you think it's just a critic who didn't like your work?"

"Nobody knows my hometown! Not even Carly..."

"Hmmm."

"What?"

She turned over the postcard and flipped it back to the front.

"What?!" Naomi asked with an angry tone.

"It makes no sense...a postcard with a message...foiled candy..." She paused. "Is there anyone who would want to hurt you? From your past?"

"No. My past is boring except-" She froze. "Oh my God...OH my God..." Tears filled her eyes. "He found me..."

"WHO?!"

"My uncle..." Her breath became fast as she sat at the bar stool, awaiting the details. Naomi filled Sydney in on the loss of her parents, landing her into his custody, and the abuse she took until Logan helped her escape.

"Logan...Castelle?"

She nodded slowly. "How do you know his name?"

"I may have hired him for the cancer campaign..."

"What?!"

"How was I supposed to know? You sent me a cryptic email two hours ago and I instantly stared hiring models and lighting techs..."

"What does he do now?"

"Model and photographer...mostly behind the camera now...he faded about two years ago from the underwear ads....So were you two a thing?"

Due to her silence, Sydney blushed red before jumping up in excitement.

"You have to tell me everything!"

"No I don't. You will try to spin it into a story..."

"Because it's a good one-"

"I am not going to out my old teacher...he could get arrested maybe or hurt or targeted..."

"Okay...well...come stay at my place for tonight and we'll get the police to check out the box. I can cancel the campaign-"

"No...It's just...please don't invite models or crew without consulting."

"I promise."

As she left her apartment for a safer haven, her bedroom door came open and her uncle placed his camera towards the box before taking a photograph, then packing up the box and leaving down the fire escape, watching her leave.