Chapter Thirty Two- Trial and Errors

The next morning at work, Logan waited anxiously outside Erwin's apartment to see Naomi leave Declan's car. Clenching his fists at his sides, he moved towards the duo before Declan moved towards her.

"I'm okay. Would you mind setting up my camera, I won't be long..." She handed him her case before he nodded and kissed her cheek as she smiled to him.

"Really? I didn't take you for the one-night-stand type-" Her hand swiftly moved across his cheek as her expression remained firm.

"You have NO right to tell me anything anymore-"

"What the hell did I do? You were fine with the job before..."

"The job? You think...I'm not an idiot-"

"Apparently I am. I meant it when I told you that I wasn't going to lose you again-"

"It's too late..." He remained silent. "You already lost me." He exhaled as he leaned against the wall.

"Just tell me something." She turned before pulling open the apartment door, with her hands on her hips. "Are you doing this just to get back at me? If so...pick someone who will at least take care of you and not take advantage of-"

"For your information Logan...he was a complete gentleman. Paid for the bill, drove me home, and kissed my cheek. Nothing else happened. But I had an incredibly nice time and for the first time in MONTHS I didn't think if he was with another model or enjoying my time with him....I didn't think that he would be spending the next day oiled up with my nemesis..."

Before he could respond, she pulled open the door and worked for the day. By the end of it, she had been packing up when Logan attempted to speak to her, but Declan came to her side and offered to drive her home. An offer she accepted over Logan's attempted speech. This continued for the remainder of the year as their holidays were spent apart. Naomi found that Declan was interesting company, but her heart did not love him. Each time she attempted a romantic link, her mind was overcome with thoughts of Logan. That were then shattered with the kiss and words she heard and saw between him and Kirsten.

The beginning of the next year came and Naomi felt she could wake without feeling as if she had been dying inside. Declan had remained a gentleman and the thoughts of her uncle and his fear of finding her ceased as she also reconnected with Carly. Her life began to be replaced by the one she had dreamed of for so long. But her job kept her too busy to notice the months flying by. It had soon turned into her Junior year of college and she had drifted away from Logan. So much so that they saw each other once a week at the meetings Erwin began to have to plan his shoots as models were coming and going too frequently.

In response to Erwin's latest award, all employees went out to dinner. A recipe for an awkward night as Logan was still trying to speak to Naomi even after all this time. Carly was at her side as Declan sat at the other. Suddenly, Naomi's eyes connected with Logan's as Declan began a toast. Her gaze remained on her ex-lover across the table as his gaze soon grew wide to the spot beside her. Following his gaze, she turned to see Declan on one knee beside her with a ring in his palm.

"Will you marry me?"

She froze. With Erwin's gaze harsh on her, and in fear of losing her job, she could only nod to accept. He slid the ring on her finger as the night then became a celebration for Erwin's award and the new engagement. The night carried on and Naomi noticed that Logan had disappeared. He returned to the apartment to gather his things as he saw Kirsten going through photos of their latest sessions.

"Great! I wanted your opinion!" She began, but as she saw him pack, she rose and moved towards him. "Are you taking a job?"

"No. I can't work here anymore. I sent Erwin my resignation and I'm personally sorry if I caused you any inconvenience..."

"What for?"

"Personal reasons-"

"Naomi?"

He remained quiet as she rolled her eyes and moved back to the photos. "i don't know what it is that you see in her. She has little talent and will go nowhere in her career without connections. And end up fat and lonely while her husband cheats on her until he gets so depressed he shoots himself..."

"Hey-"

"You deserve someone who knows what they have..." She moved towards him. "We agreed this was professional-"

"Screw it. You aren't tied to her anymore and haven't been for a while. I have been patient but you deserve someone like me who can please you and-"

"I don't want that...I don't want sex."

"Every man does..."

"Not one whose heart fights over their hormones-"

"And to think that plan was useless-" She said to herself.

"What?"

"The night you broke up...I had Declan text me when she left the studio. Then I asked you to help me rehearse for my play and she would then hear and see the kiss-"

"She saw that?" He gasped. "And you planned it?!"

"She has been given everything!"

"I have to stop her..." He jetted across town back at the restaurant but found everyone had left. He quickly made it to her apartment to find Declan and her standing outside.

"I know your heart belongs to him yet Naomi...but...do you think you could ever love me?"

Logan began to shake his head in confidence that her feelings were too strong yet for him.

"Yes." The word felt like a car to the heart. He felt as if the wind had been knocked from him. He moved to his car and then inside as she saw his car out of the corner of her eye, aching at the feeling he was close, yet distant. She then moved inside her apartment before sliding the ring off then falling to the floor in tears.