Chapter Thirty Three- Changes

Naomi arrived to work with the ring bright on her finger as everyone attacked her to see it. Those who could not make it to the dinner had asked the story on how he had asked and swooned to hear it. But to herself, Naomi wanted a more sincere proposal. One with extensive planning, something personal, not in front of dozens of people and guilted to say yes. She played with the ring before making it up to the room, nervous to see Logan and feeling guilty, feeling the need to apologize. Preparing to let down her pride, she was confused to see another man in Logan's usual place. He was incredibly slender-almost sickly and appeared the typical New York photographer with the focused look and little care of his surroundings. She moved to Erwin as he was looking through the photos on his laptop.

"My future daughter in law!" He exclaimed with bright eyes. "I trust that you are happy now?"

"Excuse me?"

"I only mean you have what any woman in your position desires...a job in a renowned studio...engaged to a bright future...and your name in Cosmopolitan magazine...." He said with a mischievous grin before sliding her a copy. Inside the pages where he had the corner pulled in to mark it, was a photograph of her from her website along with a small review on the newest "up and coming" photographer. The title made her swoon but her mind shot directly to Logan as he was the first one she had wanted to tell.

"Thank you. If it wasn't for you...I wouldn't have been noticed..."

"No "thank you" needed...I know I'm hard on you...I'm sorry for that. I just want what's best for my employees. I will admit, I am surprised on you and Declan...you don't seem his type...."

"To be honest....at first, I thought the same as you did. But he showed me a different side to him I hadn't seen before...a more sweet...sensitive side even."

"Well I am eager to welcome you to the family! It's good to keep an eye for art in the bloodline."

"Thanks." She said with a smile before turning on her heel and swinging back around, realizing she didn't ask what she wanted to; "Where is Logan?"

"Ah...Mr Castelle." Her heart ached as she reminisced of her calling Logan that. "He sent me an email late last night during the party. Speaking of an opportunity he got in England."

"England?!"

"Yeah. I didn't take him for the model type...but there was something about the way he was with the models..."

"And Kirsten?"

"She left too...maybe she's with him..." The words dug deep in Naomi's heart but she acted as if it had no effect as she knew she would not only lose her job, but reputation, and possible career. But in that moment, she felt desperate to see Logan. She excused herself and moved outside before tearing her phone from her pocket and finding a voicemail.

"Hey." The voice seemed dry, little emotion if any at first. "I have attempted to leave this message at least four other times and each time, I end up aching for whiskey and holding you. But I know now that whatever happened between us doesn't matter now. And I don't want you going through life hating me so this is just a short message to wish you luck. And to remind you to never give up on your dream of taking those photos. Because if I can have any impact in your life, it's that you know I support you. If I am ever the only one." His voice changed as it was obvious he was concealing tears. "I won't lie...I'll never forget you Naomi...But...I wish you the best with Declan. He seems to make you happy and that's all I want for you. Good luck Naomi..." He said the last three words quickly before hanging up as tears streamed down her cheeks as she stood in the hall of the apartment building, clutching the phone to her chest.

She turned quickly to see Carly moving to enter the apartment.

"Would you cover for me in there?"

"Of course...but for what? How long?"

"I need to stop someone from making the biggest mistake of their life..."

"I feel like I should be doing the same to you...." She said as she sneered but slowly nodded. "Of course...go...but call me tonight so I know you are okay."

"Okay."

She kissed her cheek quickly before jetting down the stairs and hailing a taxi to the apartment he was staying at. Knocking viciously on his door, she found a man to enter, but not the man she hoped.

"Where's Logan?"

"We were just asked to move the rest of the stuff out."

"Do you know where he went?"

The man took a flier from his back pocket. "We found this on the bedside table..." The flier was for a map of England and details on museums that he had circled. She saw a list of flights and checked the clock on her wrist to see it was half an hour from the current time. It took nearly that long just to get to the airport as she dashed back down to the taxi and begged him to speed and claimed it to be for an emergency. The man did as requested and she was making it just by a minute. Sixty seconds, as she ran through the airport as if she had been on fire. Making it to the airplane, she saw the door get closed. The stewardess turned with her million-dollar smile before turning to Naomi who was out of breath and now defeated.

"Can I help you?"

"There is someone on that plane I need to talk to..."

"Sorry Miss-"

"I'm sure you've seen romantic movies...this is one of those cases that if I don't talk to him...I'll never see him again. I'm begging you..." She looked at her name tag, "Nadine..."

"Naomi?" A light voice asked as she turned to find Kirsten sitting in one of the chairs, clutching a bag at her side.

"Kirsten..."

"What are you doing here?"

"I heard Logan was leaving...abruptly..."

She nodded. "He did...at first...."

"What?"

"He didn't go Naomi...And I don't know what it is about that guy...but...he loves you and it's clear you love him so stop playing this childish ring-around-the-rosie and just be with him. Because I'm tired of seeing it."

"Where are you going?"

"Fiji. I got a modeling job there..."

"Oh..well...good luck..."

"You too. And I'm sorry by the way...for everything..."

"Thank you."

She nodded before they parted ways and Naomi turned to see Luke through the window, getting into a taxi. She begged another taxi to follow him before seeing him move to a hotel. Naomi kept a distance at first as she gathered the words to say. Then her fingers formed into a fist before she could cease herself and began to knock.