Chapter Twenty

✥Jade✥

    Andrei's gritted moans and cries of pain rang throughout the room causing sweat to bead on my face as I dug my finger into his chest trying to find the bullet. Something hard and small grazed the tip of my finger and I retracted it to replace it with the tweezers. The tweezers gripped the small piece of metal seconds before I yanked it free.
    Andrei's sweaty chest relaxed against the bed from what I thought was relief until I looked at his sweat drenched face to find that he had blacked out. The pain and blood loss was too much for even someone like Andrei to handle.
    "F.ucking hell," Connor breathed out and released Andrei's shoulders. "Is he--is he?"
    "No," I assured him as I dropped the bloody bullet into the cup and placed the tweezers back onto the table. "He only fainted. Can you go get some hot water so that I can clean him up?"
    "Yeah, sure," Connor replied and gave one last look at a sleeping Andrei before leaving the room. I busied myself with sterilizing the curved needle I would use to stitch up his wounds so that his healing would quicken and unwound the stitching thread to slip it through the needle.
    Blood gushed from his wounds as I clamped his skin together the best I could with one hand while maneuvering the needle in and out sealing the wounds with the other. Connor walked back into the room with a silver bowl filled with steaming water and placed it on the table beside me.
    "Is he gonna be alright, Jade?" Connor asked.
    "I think so," I answered and snipped the thick suture thread with a small pair of scissors as I sealed up the third and final hole in his chest. I placed the needle on the table and moved onto the task of somewhat ridding his chest of his own blood.
    The steaming water in the bowl instantly turned pink once I raised the rag that was soaked with Andrei's blood and went about continuing to clean away the bloody mess. When I finished the task I placed the blood stained rag on the edge of the bowl.
    "Do you have anything for those burns on his face? They shouldn't take long to heal, but I bet they sting like a bitch."I asked Connor as I looked down at Andrei's sleeping form.
    "Um, I think we've got some aloe vera gel in the downstairs bathroom," Connor offered.
    "That's going to have to do," I replied and heard Connor leave the room. My attention went to my crimson stained hands that were sticky with Andrei's blood. I gave a small sigh and walked over to the bathroom to wash my hands finding that it looked the exact same. The walls were still made of black tile and the floor was still the same white marble I remembered.
    I turned the knob to the sink and stuck my hands under the running water watching the water in the sink turn a pink color before running completely red with Andrei's blood. Once the water in the sink returned to its normal color, I pumped some soap into my hands and lathered them up before picking and scrubbing the remained of the blood from my fingernails.
    I shut the water off and pulled a small hand towel out of one of the cabinets and began drying my hands as I looked at myself in the large mirror. I looked like I hadn't slept in days. The pools of blood under my eyes and slightly unkept hair stood out the most. The fact that I was still wearing the clothes I tried to fall asleep in made me look even more tired.
    I sighed and placed the damp towel on the counter to close the cabinet when my eyes fell onto three orange prescription bottles on the shelf. I picked one up out of curiosity and looked at the label feeling my stomach coil. Morphine.
     "F.ucking idiot," I breathed out under my breath. I slammed the pill bottle back onto the shelf hearing the poison tablets shake. I shook my head as I walked back into the room and found Connor standing beside the bed with a bottle of green gel in his hand.
    "Is this okay?" He asked and handed me the bottle.
    "It's going to have to," I stated and squirted a small amount onto my fingers then gently brushed it onto Andrei's scorching skin.
    "Go on and get some sleep or something, Connor." I spoke up and continued to gingerly lather his cheek with the gel.
    "Are you gonna stay all night?" Connor asked.
    "Might as well, there's not much of it left anyway." I explained as I straightened up and placed the bottle on the table. "But, I've got to leave in the morning. You're on your own then." I wiped the excess gel onto my pajama bottoms.
    "Are you sure? I know you've got your neices and nephew at home--"
    "I told my nephew I wouldn't be back until the morning," I sighed. "It's fine, go sleep or something."
    "Thank you, Jade," Connor said with sincerity. He quietly left the room and at the sound of the door clicking closed I sat down heavily in the chair that was beside the bed. I adjusted myself into a comfortable position by drawing my legs up to my chest as I turned my body to the side to lean against the back cushion of the chair and watched the steady rise and fall of Andrei's chest as he slept.
    He would be almost entirely healed by the morning, hopefully. The tight stitching I did to his bullet wounds would decrease his healing time and prevent any more blood loss. The poison was what worried me. Andrei would be weak for at least a couple of days and would need tending to, something I certainly wasn't going to do.
    I had nursed him back to health numerous times in this very room without leaving his side longer than the time needed to relieve myself. It's strange how one event can change everything. I'll admit that after I found out about his infidelity that I had often thought about what would have happened if he had of just kept it in his pants. Would we still be together? Would I have really still walked away? My daddy always said that every action has a consequence. It may not be a very big one, but there's always a consequence.
    I gave a small sigh and rubbed at one of my tired eyes. That was the past. We were the past. I honestly don't even know why I came here. I don't know why I'm staying. Because you still care. It's not like I wanted him dead. Well, when I walked in on him and that bitch I did care, but I didn't want anything bad to happen to him despite all the shit he's put me through.
    I just need to get him out of my head, I told myself as my heavy and sore eyelids drifted closed. I just needed to get him out of my head and my life and then I could move on again...

VOTE...COMMENT...FAN...SHARE???