12. Proposal

And we're back.

The big question I had already once said no to came up again.

We had gotten into a fight again but this time, he didn't leave. This time, he didn't shout at me.

This time, he gave me a genuine smile and told me he loved me before telling to dress nicely and I was blown away. I was surprised and I knew that he must have been planning something if he was acting like that.

Then he took me out to dinner and it was the most expensive one yet and the most beautiful one and I had a feeling about what was coming.

I could almost taste it and it didn't taste good.

I had barely touched my food when he touched my hand softly and smiled at me again with that smile that I loved in the beginning. The smile that tricked me into thinking he was actually the one I wanted.

Then he stood and the people around us turned to look in our direction and the knot in my stomach suddenly felt heavy.

He took out the small box and I didn't want to look at him as more people turned their heads.

I wanted to run, to cry, to go back in time where I didn't know he even existed.

But then he asked the question, loud and clear as if he wanted the world to hear him.

"Phil Lester, will you marry me?"

And I wanted to laugh.

Me marry him?

He was sweet in the beginning, soft and tender with that deceiving smile and charming words but I had spent nearly a year with him and the boy I thought he was turned out to be the boy I would never dream to be with.

And so without thinking twice, without hesitation, I said no.

Not only did I say no, but I told him "No, I won't marry you, Aiden" loud and clearly so the world could hear.

A pretty face wasn't enough. Money wasn't enough. He wasn't enough. He wasn't what I wanted.

I felt confident for a split second because this time, I knew I was making the right choice but when his eyebrows furrowed and he stood, people quietly whispering around us, I felt my confidence run as fear took over and I had never seen him so angry.

He grabbed my wrist and pulled me out of the restaurant, drove us to his house and pushed me inside before slamming the door shut and screaming at me.

After I left, everything changed but after that night, I realized so many things and one of those things was that Aiden wasn't who I loved.