Family approval?

Hermione say glaring at Severus as he looked in the mirror and adjusted his cravat. He glanced to the side and gave a little chuckle and turned to look at her.

"Now why are you so angry at me?"

"You know why!" She folded her arms in front of her and pouted like a three year old. "My parents are probably very confused as to why a professor, who I happen to hate, is suddenly asking for tea!"

"You hate me?" He came over and nuzzled his nose into her neck. "You've done some pretty surprising things to make me think you're lying."

She took a deep breath and stood up reaching her hand out to him. "Severus Snape, don't you dare screw this up"

He laughed and took her hand and they walked to the fireplace and took the floo network to the fireplace of the Granger home. Hermione let go of his hand as soon as they hit the ground and stepped out.

Her parents were waiting on the couch and she quickly ran to them and hugged them tightly. "Oh mum! Dad! It's so good to see you!"

Her mum striker her head and kissed her forehead gently. "Oh love, we've missed you. You should have come home at Christmas!"

"I know. I'm sorry."

Hermione pulled away from them and turned to Severus who was standing patiently with his hands crossed in front of him. Hermione walked over to him and introduced him to each one before gesturing him to sit down in the armchair across from her.

Mrs. Granger served them tea and had made some cookies that sat on the table. An awkward silence fell over the room and Hermione gently sipped as she watched severus' every move.

She took a deep inhale and then turned to her parents. "Mum, dad?"

"Yes dear?"

"I have something very important to talk to you about." Her parents looked at each other and then back at her. She took in another breath and let it out slowly. "Ok. Here it goes. Professor snape and I have been.... Seeing each other."

She waited for a response but she got their blank stares instead. She started to speak again but her mother gently squeezed her hand as a sign not to.

"Would you.... Excuse us Professor?" Mr. Granger said standing up and gesturing for the two women to follow him.

Hermione shut her eyes tight for a moment. Severus watched carefully because he tell she was trying to hold back tears. She stood and follow both her parents to the next room where they shut the door behind her.

Severus sat trying to listen but could only pick out a few words such as "old" "child" and "stupid". He shifted slightly and kept his gaze at the door where they had exited and prayed that they would exit soon. He felt awful. He sprung this on Hermione. Asked her parents without consulting her first. He was the one who had gotten her into so much trouble, not only today.

Several agonizing minutes passed before the door opened and Hermione came out with puffy red eyes and a somber look on her face.

Mr. Granger stepped in front of him and glared down.  Severus slowly stood to face him (which was hard because Severus was about a head taller than him) and cleared his throat. "You love my daughter?"

This took Severus by surprise and he let his expression slip for a moment before replying. "More than anything in the world."

"And you do realize that you are in fact 20 years older than her?" He stepped closer making it a very uncomfortable situation. "And that you are her teacher."

"Yes sir."

Mr. Granger turned to look at Hermione and gently nodded his head. "Hermione has made it a point that wizard and... Muggle life spans are different. And that she doesn't care whether I approve or not because she loves you." He smiled slightly. "So, after a long talk, I'm willing to give you a chance. I don't really have a choice."

He reached out his hand and Severus shook it firmly. They both offered a sideways glance at Hermione and she walked over and wrapped her hand around Severus' and they sat down and began to talk more. It was still slightly awkward because the cloud of disapproval was still hanging over head but Hermione knew the more they got to know Severus, the more they would like him.

At the end of the visit, Hermione hugged her parents tightly and Severus shook both their hands and they stepped into the dirty fireplace and held hands as they spun away quickly back to Hogwarts.