Saving Him

Last chapter before I dive headfirst into #AMACon! Yay! So happy to be part of it :)

Anyway, tweet me if you liked this @itsnotonpaper. Please watch out for the next chapter, because tbh, I've been waiting for it ever since I've written this. The next chapter was originally the main idea of this story, alongside Alden's disappearance and comeback.

=====================================

She was sitting just beside their kitchen counter, trying to comprehend what she was seeing. Maine stared at the screen of her phone, mouth hanging open.

Thirty thousand new followers in just three weeks.

I mean, sure, it was not as big as the pre-Tamang Panahon, when the number of followers she has was blowing up as much as Bieber, Swift and all the global superstars. But this, this is something. People were, once again, giving them the attention. It was the birth of AlDub all over again.

For her part, she was receiving positive remarks, mostly people supporting her and going against those who initially hated her. People, even famous personalities, were taking her side.

But then there was Alden.

He had long deactivated his account, but searching his name was enough to see how much people were hating him. Dean had tweeted about it, and soon enough, the Pambansang Gago had stuck with his name, eliminating the initial name Dean had thought for Alden. It was more appealing, Dean had said.

It did not feel good in any way, not just because she was humane enough to pity her ex-husband who was receiving extreme hate, but also, she was worried about Matthew-- Matthew who had changed a lot since she told him about the custody arrangements. Seeing people hate his father was not something really good for him.

What's worse, the school year had ended. Maine knew how much school helps Matthew whenever he was sad. He was one of those kids who always want to be preoccupied in order to take things off his mind. At a very young age, Matthew had learned to use work to avoid his own feelings. Maine wonders if it was something that needed change as soon as possible.

"Hi, Ma." Matthew's deadpan voice made Maine turn, watching her son emerge from the living room, opening the cupboard, looking for food. "Si Nanay po?" He said as he brought out a bag of banana chip, kissing his mother before he sat beside her. Although he had changed a lot, Matthew never really showed grudge against his mother.

"Hi anak. May pinabili lang ako sa grocery, pero babalik na rin yun." Maine said, smiling. "Bakit?"

"Ah.. Sinabi ko po kasi kay Nanay, tutulungan ko po siya magwalis, eh. Tsaka po tuturuan niya daw po akong  magluto ng bilo-bilo."

"That's.. good anak." Maine said. "Pero remember, I'm still not allowing you to use the stove all by yourself, okay? Always ask for assistance."

"Okay po."

The phone suddenly rang, and Maine rolled her eyes, sighing. Someone had called earlier about an interview, and she was not in the mood to answer a call and turn down another.

"Ako na po." Matthew said, jumping down from the stool and picking up the phone.

"Hello? Ay, hello po Ma'am Rosario. Kumusta po kayo?" Matthew's face temporarily brightened up, smiling at his mother to see if she was looking at him. He pointed at the phone, excitedly gesturing that it was his adviser. "Hahaha, opo. Masaya po, walang homework. Si Mama po? Teka, sandali lang po."

"Si Ma'am daw, Ma." Matthew grinned putting his hands on his face as Maine picked up the phone, also grinning.

"Alam ko na to." She mouthed at Matthew.