Her Father's Great Idea

"I can't believe you agreed to this." Mr. Mendoza said as he paced back and forth in the living room, throwing his hands in the air. "At kasama pa ang bata? Nasisiraan ka na ba, Meng?"

Maine's whole family, including Marco, were in the Mendoza's living room. Maine sat at the side with Marco, but she felt that she was in the middle of the room, a spotlight flashed on her.

It was the day before her flight to New York. Their flight, actually. Apparently, Mr. Faulkerson had booked the flight for three people: Matthew, her, and Riza. Riza was just a back-up, if ever Maine wanted company. Matthew, well, it was up to him. Surprisingly, upon informing her son about the news, he immediately agreed. Maine immediately told Mr. Faulkerson that Riza's presence would not be needed anymore.

She told Marco the news next. Marco had just shaken his head, telling her it was up to her. He was in disbelief that Alden was back again.

She brought Marco and Matthew with her and took a last stop at the Mendozas to tell them she was leaving the country. It was a good thing, since her parents had just arrived at their home from their business trip. She had told Matthew to go upstairs first to visit his Kuya Matti so that she could break the news to the family without him around.

They didn't care at first that he was found in America. They didn't even bother asking how he was now, and how he was found. They were just glad that he was far away. They were glad, until she told them she's going to meet him. And that Matthew was coming.

Her parents, exhausted from their trip, definitely didn't take the news well.

What's worse, her siblings were there. She was the only child of the Mendozas who had left the house, that's why she wasn't surprised to see her siblings that day. She had prepared for their presence. Her siblings were 4 of the people who hated Richard the most after he left.

"Sisiraan mo yung buhay ni Matthew eh. Nananahimik na kayo oh. Tapos papapasukin mo ulit yang Alden na yan sa buhay niyo?" Dean chimed in, staring at her in disbelief.

Coleen nodded in agreement. "Hindi ko talaga gets kung bakit ka pumayag. Ano ba?"

Maine held out both of her hands. "Sandali lang ha. Pumunta ako dito para sabihin sa inyo na pupunta ako. Not to ask permission."

"Yun na nga Meng eh, ang tanda-tanda mo na, you still make decisions like that. Please think about your son naman!" Mrs. Mendoza exlaimed, exasperated.

She placed a hand over her face as her family continued to bombard her with complaints and lectures. She looked at Marco, a look of desperation in her eyes. He gave her a reassuring hand on her shoulder. She just wanted to get this over with. To end everything already, but her family wasn't helping.

"Marco, help." She groaned.

He shrugged his shoulders. He looked at her, worried. "I don't know, Maine. Your family has a point." He whispered.

Great. Pati ba naman si Marco?

Well she didn't really expect Marco to support her in this endeavor. But can't they really all see where this is heading? Closure.

"Pwede bang pakinggan niyo muna ako?" Maine snapped. Everyone stopped talking, looking at her. "I have my reasons."

"Invalid reasons." Dean muttered.

She shot her brother a look. "Baka sa trip na ito, mahanap na namin yung closure namin."

Everyone reacted. "Closure?" Nikki sarcastically asked. "Ano kayo, mag-on?"

Maine rolled her eyes. Her family can be so mean when they don't like what they're hearing.

"I was thinking more of an annulment." The whole room fell silent again. The idea just popped to her mind. She waited for them to respond.

Mrs. Mendoza raised her eyebrow. "Go on."

Before she could even respond, they heard footsteps running down the stairs. It was Matthew.

"Anak, sa taas ka muna please. May pinag-uusapan lang kaming importante dito." Maine called out to her son. However, he had rushed to Mr. Mendoza, stopping his grandfather from pacing around again. He whispered something to him, and Mr. Mendoza took his seat, leaving Matthew in front of everyone."

"No need to send me upstairs. I heard everything." Maine sighed. So he did. "And no need to get worried. Trust me, lahat ng sinasabi niyo kanina, naisip ko na din po yan."

Matthew had always been a smart kid. People had been always impressed at how smart his replies and the conversations he makes could be. It may not be about string theories, or the history of war, but he have always had this depth with what he says. He can talk about life as if he was a 60 year old man. People would gather around him at parties, not because he was singing or dancing the newest craze in town. It was because he was talking about the ironies of life. The ironies of life. Even if he was just turning nine. Nine.

"But come to think of it. Tayong lahat po ba talaga ang makakapagsabi kung hindi maganda ang idudulot nito? Hindi ba natatakot lang po kayong lahat na babalik yung tatay ko? Sino po bang nagsabing papabalikin po siya ni Mama?"  He asked. He had always mentioned his father as if he was not related to him. And he rarely does. Everyone fell silent.

"Ako po, sasama ako kasi kahit isang beses lang, gusto ko malaman kung sino ba talaga ang tatay ko. Hindi yung puro balita lang sa internet ang nasesearch ko. Si Mama po, pupunta, kasi may sariling rason siya. At nirerespeto ko po yun. Kasi kung sino man pong may karapatan magdesisyon kung ano ang mabuti para sa kanya, siya po yun. At naniniwala po ako dun." He smiled. "Diba, Ma?"

Maine smiled, looking at her son. She mouthed thank you. He grinned. The grin that had always reminded her of Alden, even until now. He looked exactly like his father, people have always said. Except for the eyes. Matthew has his mother's expressive eyes, they also said.

No matter how many times she heard her son talk, she was still surprised.

It took a few minutes before someone finally spoke. "May point ka, Matthew. Thank you apo. Umakyat ka na ulit." Mr. Mendoza said, forcing a smile and winking at his grandson.

Matthew smiled cheekily, dashing upstairs. "Anak, wag tumakbo." Maine reminded her son. He may talk like an adult, but he was still a boy after all.

"Ilang taon na ba yang anak mo na yan, parang matanda." Mr. Mendoza said, standing up.

"Rinig kita, lo!" Matthew called out, which made everyone laugh. Finally. Maine thought. Something to break the ice.

"Pumasok ka na sa kwarto!" Mr. Mendoza called out, laughing. It took him a good thirty seconds before he took a serious tone again. Enough time for Maine to recompose herself. "So, the annulment. That's a tedious path to take, Menggay. It's not even a guarantee, for God's sake."

"But it would be worth it, wouldn't it?" She replied confidently. She didn't even think about the idea before, but she liked it. And she was confident that this would win her parents' permission. Not that she was asking for it, of course.

"It would.." Mr. Mendoza muttered, tapping his chin. He looked at the ceiling thinking. "Fine. Payag na ako."

Maine sighed. "Again, I was not asking for your per-"

"We have a good lawyer naman. I think this would go well. Yes. This would. Good thinking, dad. Great idea." Nico said, nodding.

"Kuya Nico, the annulment was my id-" Maine complained.

"Sige na. We agree already. Now go home and pack up." Mr. Mendoza said. "The sooner we get this done, the better. Para tuluyan nang mawala sa bokubolaryo natin yang Alden Richards ba yan."

================

The looks of the father but eyes of the mother part is an obvious reference to Harry Potter, if anyone would ask. Because I love the series.  And I love LOTR. And HTGAWM. And Taylor Swift. I don't even know why I'm sharing this. But you guys should check all those stuff up. <3

So anyway, this was a short update. But still, I hope you still watch out for this story! Thanks for the good feedback, everyone. You'll meet Richard soon!!