Separate Ways, Separate Lives

"Wala kang work?" Maine asked Marco as she buckled her seatbelt. He was at the back of the car, placing Maine and Matthew's bags on the empty seats.

"Cancelled everything today. Dadating ka eh." He said, closing the door of the backseat. He hopped to the driver's seat, starting the car.

"Grabe, di mo naman kailangan gawin yun.."

"I don't, but I want to. Tsaka wala naman masyadong gagawin sa office. And I rarely leave work, so the board won't really mind." Maine simply nodded, smiling at Marco. She watched buildings blur more as the car sped up. There was no traffic, and their car was almost alone in the highway.

"So. Kumusta New York?" Marco said, taking a quick glance at Maine.

"Okay lang."

"Hmm?"

"Okay nga lang."

"Eh si Matthew?" Maine did not respond quickly, reflecting on her son's actions and feelings when they were in New York. Truthfully, she had never seen Matthew that happy.

"..Masaya." 

Marco fell silent, obviously reflecting like her. "Buti nag-enjoy siya."

"Andun tatay niya eh." She trailed off. Maine suddenly sat straight, facing Marco as he contintued to drive, looking straight ahead. "Alam mo Marco, hindi ko talaga maintindihan kung bakit hindi siya galit kay Ri-" She paused, stopping herself from calling her by his first name."Kay Alden."

"Tatay niya yun." Marco replied, ignoring her name-calling hesitation. "At baka hindi niya pa masyadong naiintindihan yung gravity nang ginawa ni Alden."

"Hindi ako naniniwalang hindi niya naiintindihan." Maine reasoned out, clearly frustrated that Matthew is not sharing the same sentiments with her. "Matalino si Matthew. I know he knows."

"Well, I guess you have to ask Matthew himself." Marco replied simply. "Alam mo, wag ka na mag pastress tungkol diyan. It's your first day back. Come on. Let's think of something to do."

Maine leaned back once again to her seat, folding her arms. "Di ko alam eh. Basta ayoko mapagod." She said nonchalantly.

"Something less physical.. Hmm. Bowling? Movies? Huwag na movies, boring. Ah alam ko na. Ice skating?" Marco said excitedly. Maine froze in her place, remembering the days she spent with Alden and Matthew once more. Memories of New York flooded her, along with memories of her and Alden way way back.

"No!" She suddenly exclaimed, surprising Marco. He frowned at her, confused at her sudden outburst. She shook her head. "I mean, no. Ayoko. Sige, kahit bowling na lang." She said calmly. She leaned on the window, sighing.

Silence.

"You're not up to this, aren't you?" Marco asked her softly, as the car stopped before an intersection. There was not a car passing in front of them, but the red light was on. Maine still didn't reply. She was having one of her mood swings, and Marco knew it. "SIge, I'll take you home. Next time na lang."

Main sighed, clearly guilty of her behavior. " Marco, sorry. It's just that- ewan. I guess pagod lang ako. Or may jetlag pa. Not feeling well."

He nodded as he stepped on the gas, driving at a steady pace. "Okay."

"Sorry talaga. I'll make it up to you, okay?"

"Hindi, okay lang. I understand." He smiled meekly, turning to her. "Saan kita ihahatid?"

"Kayla Mama na lang." She said. "Ay, wait. Sa bahay na lang pala." Marco nodded, not bothering to reply.

It was a quiet drive. Marco, sensing Maine was not really in the mood to talk, turned on his music player for some soothing music. It took no time for Maine to fall asleep. Marco glanced at her, chuckling. Her head was resting against the seat, her mouth hanging wide. Marco brought out his phone immediately as the red light signalled him to stop, taking a quick snap of Maine, adoring her cute sleeping face. Maine had always scolded him for taking such kind of unflattering photos, but he didn't mind. Those unguarded and vulnerable moments were the best wallpapers.