Crossed Out

"Psst." She kissed him on the cheek, on the nose, on the forehead and finally on the lips. He scrunched his eyebrows without opening his eyes, annoyed at the person who was trying to disturb his sleep. He breathed in, and all his annoyance vanished. It smelled like strawberries. She had always smelled like strawberries even if she just woke up.

He smiled, his eyes still half closed, stretching. Sunlight was already starting to shine through their bedroom window, but half of their room was still in the shadows. He looked at the girl leaning on him just beside the bed. Her hair was in a bun, his shirt too big for her frame. Her eyes were still blinking at a slow rate, sleep still trying to attract her on the bed. The girl combed through his messy hair once, leaning closer to his face. "Merry Christmas, love."

He frowned, rolling his eyes. He stood up, walking towards her, his eyebrows still knitted together. She looked surprise at his sudden change of emotion, backing away.

He stood still in front of her, his looks still not changing. "Why.. Are you.." He trailed off. She stared back, folding her arms, regaining her composure. She raised her eyebrow. She was too small compared to his muscular body, but she didn't flinch at his stare. She was just not afraid of him. Why should she? "Why am I what?" She snapped.

"Why are you.. Not in bed with me?" He suddenly grabbed her by the waist, pulling her to the bed with him. She squealed, laughing as she wrestled him, trying to get away from him. "Richard!" She screamed, giggling all the same. He had locked his arms around her, pulling her on top of him, grinning mischievously. "Who the hell told you na umalis sa kama without me?"

She laughed, slapping him on the chest. "Get off! Wala pa tayong breakfast."

"Mamaya na yun. Stay in bed with me." He murmured, peppering her neck with kisses, tracing a line from there, to her jaw and to her lips. She cupped his face with her hands, enjoying the feeling of his lips against hers. He sat up, she sitting on top of him. She held the back of his head, burying her hand on his hair as they continued to kiss. She broke the kiss off, smiling. They rested their foreheads against each other, looking at each other's eyes. "We're not going to spend our first Christmas as a married couple on bed, are we?" Maine asked, chuckling as Alden touched his nose to hers, closing his eyes and smiling.

He leaned closer to her, whispering. "Yes. Yes we are, love."

==============================

"Psst." He lightly tapped her on the cheek, waiting for a reaction. "Ma, gising na."

Maine opened her eyes to the sight of her son already wrapped with too much clothing. He was grinning as he watched her mother rub her eyes and yawn. "Merry Christmas Ma! Kailangan mo nang magbihis, dadating na si Papa anytime."

"M-marco?"

"Si Papa, Ma. Wala naman si Marco dito eh." Matthew left the room, scratching his head. Maine rubbed her eyes, dragging herself to the shower. Maine had of course anticipated this day ever since their first breakfast and ever since she knew planes were fully booked. Matthew had convinced her to actually spend the whole day with Alden as they roam around the city, on Christmas day. It was emotionally exhausting to be with him and Matthew: acting like spending your time with the husband who left you on Christmas day was not unusual.

If she just didn't love her son too much..

But she did.

It took her 20 minutes to prepare, just in time with Alden's arrival. Alden had planned to tour them around the city: although according to him, he's not been in the place for more than two months. He was just technically touring Matthew, given that Maine was even more familiar with New York than him. He arrived a few minutes after Maine finished preparing, with a sling bag and a camera on his shoulder, and a paper bag by the hand, looking very excited.