After Six Years

"Wala nang bawian to. We're here. I'm pushing your things nearer to the plane. No more objections. Wala bang pipigil sa'kin?" Marco exclaimed like a person in slowmo as he slowly pushed Maine and Matthew's things as they entered the airport.

"Wala na!" Matthew laughed playfully shoving the man as he stopped just before the check-in place. "Kung may pipigil man, ikaw yun eh. Bakit di mo pinipigilan Mama ko?"

Maine followed behind the two, watching them. She smiled as Marco knelt down to face the boy, putting a hand on his shoulder. "Because I love your mom. And whatever she wants, as long as she thinks it's for the best, susuportahan ko." He stood up, looking at Maine. He winked. "Besides, laki-laki na ng nanay mo no. She can decide for her own."

He approached Maine. He smiled, but a look of worry suddenly showed in his face. "Maine, you really think this is a good idea?" Marco looked at her, pleading with his eyes not to go on with this trip.

After Alden left, Marco had been there for Maine. The couple knew that Marco had the eyes for Maine. Marco was an executive from Coca-Cola, and he met AlDub months after their first endorsement for the company. Marco immediately liked her, but it was already too late. Alden and Maine might not have been a couple back then, but it was obvious to everyone how head over heels they were for each other.

So Marco left them alone. The three of them stayed friends, close in fact. He had a lot of girlfriends after that, but it never worked out. Maine and Alden got married, and he attended the wedding with still no one at his arms. Secretly, he still liked Maine. But he respected the both of them. He would visit Maine and Matthew when they were alone in the house, but he never did anything that would break Alden's trust. Alden was a good guy.

Close friends joked around that maybe, just maybe, the two will separate and he may have finally a chance at Maine. He shook his head, laughing, telling them he wouldn't wait, or else he will grow old alone.

Why would he? He was handsome. He was not too young, but he was definitely not old. He was the youngest in the board, and people in the company looked up to him. He wouldn't wait for an actress, would he? His worth is much more than her.

He continued dating women, but he was never satisfied. It was Maine, Maine, Maine. He might not admit it, but he was in love.

And then Alden started to drift away in the marraige. He felt it. Alden became elusive to people. This made him visit the Faulkerson residence more, checking on Maine to make sure she was okay. He can also feel it. Maine was having a hard time in their marriage.

And then he left. The idiot Alden had left. 

He didn't know what to feel. He sure couldn't celebrate, with Maine utterly broken and with a child left to be raised on her own. But he felt triumph. He had a chance. Maine might be broken now, but he would help her stand up again.

And so he did. He helped Maine a lot, doing errands for her, picking her up and driving her when needed and talking to her, making sure she was okay. Marco was a smart man. Despite wanting to help, he made sure he stayed hidden in the background. He didn't want any attention first, or all hell would break loose for fans and close friends and family alike. So for 6 hard-earned years, he was there for Maine, and Maine saw all of that. He was an ideal man, and even an ideal.. father. Matthew liked him very much. That's why when he asked if he could already start courting her, she agreed. Why not? Even her family likes Marco. Maybe it was just the right time to start anew, most especially if you would start it with someone who deserves it.

Maine nodded, putting a hand on his arm. People were already looking, recognizing her, and seeing them. They needed to part already. They were still not ready to be seen in public, given that Maine was still eyed by people even if she's not being approached anymore. "Yes. Ikaw, okay ka lang ba? Okay ka lang ba na imemeet ko si Alden?" She grinned, teasing him.